i7 8700k overheating

Jul 30, 2018
I have an i7 8700k and a Dark Rock Pro 4. I'm getting 40 degrees C at idle and 80-82 under load. When I originally installed the cooler I left the plastic on the cooler on. When I ran aida64 I realized there was an issue and removed the plastic. I got 75 degrees C under load. After a few days I re-ran aida64 and got 85 degrees C under load. I took off the cooler to remount it. I noticed a white spot on the cooler. I'm unsure if it's plastic. It's smooth and is not thermal paste. I tried removing it with alcohol. It wouldn't come off. There was nothing on the cpu. My case is a Corsair 200R. Not sure if this has something to do with the cooler, cpu, or airflow in the case. Please help!

Solution
What thermal paste did you use after cleaning it the first time? And have you checked your mobo fan profile? if its on silent it might be set to not spin up the fans very high ever at 85c

The plastic may have melted into the cooler nooks and crannies and it will be hard to clean it all.
The plastic will prevent heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink and cause the CPU to overheat.
You might need to replace the cooler.

Jul 30, 2018
I'll try the nail polish remover tomorrow. If it doesn't work I'll return it to Amazon. They shouldn't question it especially since it's only been about a week. I am also wondering if there is plastic on the CPU.

cia1413

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2012
What thermal paste did you use after cleaning it the first time? And have you checked your mobo fan profile? if its on silent it might be set to not spin up the fans very high ever at 85c

Solution
Jul 30, 2018
I used arctic silver 5. I changed the fans to all be running at max speed. Now I'm getting 70 - 75 degrees C. I'm not sure if that's normal either. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be 70 degrees C on the silent profile.

Jul 30, 2018

If the cpu starts to go to and above 80 degrees c then I'll return it. I'm getting about 1400 in cinebench and that's fine for me. I may invest in an aio watercooler later down the line.

That looks good,
I think the plastic left behind started to melt, with the heat, and mix with the thermal paste.
In a month, or so, re-apply thermal paste and it should be free of plastic.
You might be disappointed if you switch to water cooling.
You have a very good cooler, which performs better than some water coolers while been very quiet.