[SOLVED] i7 8700k reach 95C

Skoppt

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2013
Hey everyone, I've got an i7 8700k set on default settings on AORUS EasyTune, siting on an Z370 AOURS gaming 7, with an Corsair h115i 2x 140mm on a push setting on front mount of the case, paired with an AORUS GTX 1080TI Extreme Edition. all assembled in an bequiet dark base pro 900.

I've noticed that after a awhile I got high 90º on AAA games /rendering, and 40~60º idle, this in the mid winter with ambient dropping to <10º. I had the h115i on top of the case back then, and had the easyTune software set to OC (4.7Ghz on all cores), and did a bit of testing and the front mount provided a better result of (40º~50º idle) but still spiked to 95º on load, so I turned down to default the EasyTune and the temps dropped 75~85º full load. so all "good". now I find myself again on the same cycle that the temps goes up to 98º on a full load. I cleaned all the dust and everything still does the same. should I re-apply the paste and see what gives? I had an i7 7700k before with an h100i and never had this kind of problems. I'm a bit disappointed by the AORUS easyTune, should I just drop it and go to bios to check the clock? I've tried all the tips and tricks in my book. hope some of you can give another perspective to this.

thanks in advance for the help.

Solution
I don,t advocate front mounting an AIO, Best is to top mount with more than adequate case fans to extract the hot air. (especially when using a GPU that pushes hot air into the case.
Bear in mind that the 8700k has a Tmax of 100C and does run hot under load and especially if you choose to Overclock.
The CPU should throttle down before that.

I would replace your TIM with a good quality paste (AS5 or Kryonaut) are good. If you can, put extra extraction rear fan 140mm. Adjust your fan profile to max in Bios when temps reach 80C. Try dropping your CPU voltage to a minimum whilst maintaining stability.
Don,t use software apps to adjust Bios or frequency. Use your Bios direct.
If you can check the overclocking, to see how far the CPU is being pushed, then give that a shot. That failing, try a thermal paste reapplication. That isnt something that normally needs to be done, but a poor spread could cause heating issues.

Skoppt

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2013
Unistalled EasyTune, and reseted BiOS to default config. clocks @ 3.7Ghz full auto mode. still getting ~50º at idle. and spikes to ~82º and then it stablizes at 70º on full load (AAA game) will try to apply new thermal paste to see if anything changes, but just removing the software got me 10º.. Ths is very strange.

I don,t advocate front mounting an AIO, Best is to top mount with more than adequate case fans to extract the hot air. (especially when using a GPU that pushes hot air into the case.
Bear in mind that the 8700k has a Tmax of 100C and does run hot under load and especially if you choose to Overclock.
The CPU should throttle down before that.

I would replace your TIM with a good quality paste (AS5 or Kryonaut) are good. If you can, put extra extraction rear fan 140mm. Adjust your fan profile to max in Bios when temps reach 80C. Try dropping your CPU voltage to a minimum whilst maintaining stability.
Don,t use software apps to adjust Bios or frequency. Use your Bios direct.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS