Question i7-8700k temperature 98 degrees Celsius under load.

May 18, 2019
While playing Rainbow Six Siege, my CPU went as high as 98 degrees Celsius, and while it's on idle it goes as high as 59 Celsius. I was wondering if it's normal to for a cpu to go that high while under load. Also I've reapplied the thermal paste by using the cooler master maker, but I'm not sure if I am able to reseat my heatsink since I'm using a stock Intel heatsink which clips into the motherboard instead of screwing. I'm assuming the best possible way to fix my temp. solution is to buy a new heatsink, yes?

gikal

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
While playing Rainbow Six Siege, my CPU went as high as 98 degrees Celsius, and while it's on idle it goes as high as 59 Celsius. I was wondering if it's normal to for a cpu to go that high while under load. Also I've reapplied the thermal paste by using the cooler master maker, but I'm not sure if I am able to reseat my heatsink since I'm using a stock Intel heatsink which clips into the motherboard instead of screwing. I'm assuming the best possible way to fix my temp. solution is to buy a new heatsink, yes?
Please get a better cooler like hyper turbo led is really cheap with two fans, if you dont have money right now, try to undervolt if you are allowed by your motherboard bios settings, and turn off intel turbo boost, run with base clock speed untill you get a better cpu cooler, have a nice day!

He's not going to undervolt anything. If he had the mi to do that he wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with. His processor will continue to throttle to avoid damage.
what do you mean by echo sir, im new at forums? you didnt tell him about undervolting or turning off Intel turbo boost to avoid high temps untill he gets a new cooler, have a good day! :d
This wasn't directed at you specifically. Good suggestion and post!

Reactions: gikal
May 18, 2019
That's better than the stock cooler. Should be enough to keep you from overheating at stock speeds. Be sure to replace the thermal paste.

I would have suggested a better cooler TBH. But that one will suffice if you just need something to keep you from overheating.
Saving my money during summer, that's the only cooler I could get within a day. Hoping to get a water-cooled heatsink, any recommendations?

May 18, 2019
The case determines what will fit. What case do you have? Water cooling is expensive, but it's pretty nice if you get a good one. At least a 240mm radiator is recommended.
I'm not sure but here is the pc case I'm using right now https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC...=cyberpowerpc&qid=1558772737&s=gateway&sr=8-4 . It was a mistake buying a pre-built pc but the parts aren't the same listed in the link, and I believe the airflow is slightly restricted in this case.