[SOLVED] i7-8700k Temperature Spikes when opening games and applications. (VIDEO)

Aug 8, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I have some questions about my build. It is now about a year old. Should the CPU temperatures be spiking like they do when I open up applications? I have never noticed this issue before with the computer. I have attached a screen record to show what all the real time monitoring. Please let me know what you guys think, this issue does not seem to effect the speed of my rig or have any bad effects, just not sure if it is hurting the CPU.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moXE6K_vuoU&feature=youtu.be

(NOTE THAT THE SPIKES SHOWN IN THE VIDEO ARE OCCURRING WHEN I OPEN SOLID-WORKS CAD and CHROME)

I do notice that the H100i will stay at around 36 C under load while the CPU Temps vary. I have heard that this is a normal temp for it to run at, but I just wanted to add that in too in case it may be a factor.

Thank you for the help!

SPECS OF THE BUILD:

ASUS PRIME Z370-A MotherBoad

Intel i7-8700K

CORSAIR H100i V2

EVGA 650W PSU

GTX 1070 TI

CORSAIR VENGANCE LPX 8GB x 4

SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB

Solution
drew5674,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

I can assure you that the thermal behavior you're seeing is completely normal. Open and observe the graph under the "Performance" tab in Windows Task Manager. The graph will help you visualize how the spikes appear in frequency and amplitude.

Here's how idle looks on a rig that has clean software without excessive software activity, where "idle" is really idle, and not a light load. No programs open or screen saver running, and off line. No Folding or SETI or Startup "tray-trash" or unnecessary processes or services running in the background, and just 1 or 2% CPU Utilization under the "Performance" tab in Windows Task Manager...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

How long does the spike last?

From the words of the resident Intel temperature expert here @CompuTronix
Intel’s specification for DTS (Digital Thermal Sensor) response time is 256 milliseconds, or about 1/4th of a second. Since Windows has dozens of Processes and Services running in the background, it’s normal to see rapid and random Core temperature “spikes” or fluctuations, especially during the first few minutes after startup. Any software activity will show some percentage of CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, where unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services that contribute to excessive spiking can be disabled.

Aug 8, 2019
Thank you PC Tailor!

The spikes come at random, in the video I had posted the PC has been warmed up for over an hour at the time I recorded the video.

It does not only occur on start up. Even on idle it does not seem to want to settle at one temperature always has a 5 degree or more change.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thank you PC Tailor!

The spikes come at random, in the video I had posted the PC has been warmed up for over an hour at the time I recorded the video.

It does not only occur on start up. Even on idle it does not seem to want to settle at one temperature always has a 5 degree or more change.
I understand, but how long does the spike actually last?

The quote I posted was just stating that it is common at startup, but CPU temps do respond rapidly from small changes. If the temperature spike is only for a couple/few seconds, It seems pretty normal to me. The CPU cores are incredibly responsive.

Aug 8, 2019
I understand, but how long does the spike actually last?

The quote I posted was just stating that it is common at startup, but CPU temps do respond rapidly from small changes. If the temperature spike is only for a couple/few seconds, It seems pretty normal to me. The CPU cores are incredibly responsive.
They will only last like a second and shoot back down.

In games they will sometimes jump to 90 C then settle back down to around 70 C.

Are you able to see the video that I posted?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
drew5674,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

I can assure you that the thermal behavior you're seeing is completely normal. Open and observe the graph under the "Performance" tab in Windows Task Manager. The graph will help you visualize how the spikes appear in frequency and amplitude.

Here's how idle looks on a rig that has clean software without excessive software activity, where "idle" is really idle, and not a light load. No programs open or screen saver running, and off line. No Folding or SETI or Startup "tray-trash" or unnecessary processes or services running in the background, and just 1 or 2% CPU Utilization under the "Performance" tab in Windows Task Manager.

Although spiking and fluctuations can never be eliminated, cleaning up your software has a major effect on quieting down your idle. Notice how the dull spike in the utilization graph coincides with the sharp spike in the Wi-Fi graph ... all normal and expected.

In addition to what PC Tailor has already pointed out, 6th Generation processors introduced "Speed Shift" technology in Windows 10, which responds much faster to changes in workload than "SpeedStep" due to having many more Core speed and Core voltage transition levels.

Since 7th through 9th Generation Speed Shift is twice as fast as 6th Generation, some users complain of Core temperature spikes which can also cause fluctuations in fan RPM at idle. Motherboard manufacturers are implementing BIOS updates that include separate SpeedStep and Speed Shift settings with more flexible fan curves and time delay options.

We actually have a Guide that covers this topic. It's a "Sticky" near the top of this very forum (CPUs) in which you posted your question. If you take a look you can't miss it. I suggest that you give it a read, with particular emphasis on Section 11 - Thermal Test Basics and Section 13 - Thermal Test Idle:

Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

Reactions: PC Tailor
Solution