i7 8700k to 5.0 GHz with 240 mm aio

May 31, 2018
I recently watched a video from Tech Deals that said in order to take an i7 8700k to 5.0 GHz, a 240 mm aio will not cut it. Is this true? I think I have decent case cooling, I am using the stock fans on a Corsair h100i v2 and 2 Corsair sp120 quiet edition fans on exhaust. Case is NZXT s340 elite. If it matters, I am using the Asus rog strix z370 e gaming motherboard.

If I cannot reach 5.0 ghz, then what is the highest I could reach without going over 1.33 - 1.35 voltage?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You can't plan a specific clock speed at a specific voltage like this ahead of time. CPUs, even of the same model, aren't identically made; chips are generally sorted into different models from the same chip depending on how well they turn out, with chips binned into different tiers. The only way you can find out how far a specific i7 8700k -- or any chip -- can go is by carefully pushing it yourself.

The only guarantee you have with an i7 8700k is that it will at least be able to maintain the stated stock clocks at the stock voltage. Beyond that, it's up to how you do in the silicon lottery. Cooler choice for overclocking essentially comes down to how much you're willing to invest in an attempt to overclock the CPU.

You can only find out by testing it and DS is right, not all 8700K's will do that at voltages below 1.35v..heck mine does not thats why I run it at 4.9GHz becouse I dont want to go over 1.3vcore.

With regards to the 240 AIO, just test it under Prime95 v26.6 and AIDA...If you are under 80 Degrees C..you will be okay and you should be able to if you are lucky and have a good chip and be well under 1.35v for a 4.9GHZ overclock..