I7-8700k Voltage too sporadic?

NotsogoodwithPCs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to having a K series chip and although it's extremely powerful and everything I've ever wanted in a CPU..the voltage of it kind of scares me seeing as how it's always fluctuating so I'm not sure what's normal or not. Here are a couple pics using diff programs to try and see if maybe the cpu voltage was just incorrect on one of them but they all seem to be giving out similar results. And before people ask, yes multicore enhancement was disabled cause I looked online to try and solve this myself and people suggested that as a potential fix to that/heat it was pumping out.

https://i.gyazo.com/f0f2f449283fd54636071c7289c57aa5.png
https://i.gyazo.com/9e8d75b7252bb6561884a79459baffe6.png
https://i.gyazo.com/39a37c7303340bc3d4b408f7205fa4a7.png

My motherboard is an AsRock Z370M Pro4 just in case anyone is curious. I'm pretty new with all this and what should be proper volts on my CPU and how to even tweak with the settings, so any type of instructions to solve this issue would be appreciated. The CPU is at stock settings on another side note as well.

Solution
Uh... Unless you've locked in a fix voltage in the overclocking section of the UEFI, the variable voltage is kinda a normal thing. If you're unsatisfied with the voltage the MB is pumping into your CPU and the resulting heat, locking in a specific OC maybe the solution for you.

ex. My ASROCK X470 Master SLI, when left to its own device, would pump 1.45V into my R5 2600x and push temps to the point of crashing. So I've gone into the UEFI and locked in a voltage & All cores clock that I'm comfortable with and crashing due to high temps under extended heavy workload went away.

FD2Raptor

Admirable
Uh... Unless you've locked in a fix voltage in the overclocking section of the UEFI, the variable voltage is kinda a normal thing. If you're unsatisfied with the voltage the MB is pumping into your CPU and the resulting heat, locking in a specific OC maybe the solution for you.

ex. My ASROCK X470 Master SLI, when left to its own device, would pump 1.45V into my R5 2600x and push temps to the point of crashing. So I've gone into the UEFI and locked in a voltage & All cores clock that I'm comfortable with and crashing due to high temps under extended heavy workload went away.

Solution

NotsogoodwithPCs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015

Ah I see, and would locking the voltage on the cores cause a dip in performance or how exactly does that work without potentially making the system unstable from making voltage changes?

FD2Raptor

Admirable

Unless the locked voltage also accompanied by a lower CPU clock, or multiplier as they may be referred to (e.g. a multiplier of 47 for the 100Mhz bus, or 4700Mhz in clock speed), there'll be no performance dip; actually if you'd lock in a 4.7Ghz all cores clock then you'd actually gain a little bit of performance (4.7Ghz Turboboost stock config is for single core only).

The voltage change can cause instability if you lower it too much for the clock/multiplier that you're trying to apply; therefore basically you'd start with a known working one and then proceed to lowering them in 0.05V incremental at first and do stress testing the CPU at the voltage to gauge its stability at that voltage; then in 0.025V incremental once you've found the point of instability (i.e. if the system was stable at 4.7Ghz@1.25V but would crash at 1.2V, you can give another try at 1.225V to fine tune it). Since each CPU is different, this process will need to be done manually.

Uh.... no. Voltages is only half of the equation. The CPU itself would still only require a specifics amount of amperage do do specifics tasks. Therefore locking in voltage may produce a bit less efficient result at low/idle load but not a waste of "100+ watts".

TRENDING THREADS