[SOLVED] i7 8700k vs 9700k

May 13, 2020
trying to figure out if i should get an i7 8700k or an i7 9700k, was gonna get 8700k because of hyperthreading until i found out it is for some reason more expensive than the 9700k? whys that? and im doing this mostly for gaming.

Solution
The BIOS update only needs to happen if you were planning on using a Z370.
No BIOS update needed with the Z390. It ships with a BIOS that supports 9th generation CPU's out of the box.
The 9700K's current gaming results show that 8 real cores and it's 'only' 8 threads are more than enough for any game out today....

I like hyperthreading as well, but, the gaming benchmarks don't like....

Just get the 9700KF if it is less expensive... (make sure your mainboard's BIOS supports it if it is an older 300-series mainboard like a Z370...; many support 9700K/KF, etc., but with a BIOS update first...

May 13, 2020
The 9700K's current gaming results show that 8 real cores and it's 'only' 8 threads are more than enough for any game out today....

I like hyperthreading as well, but, the gaming benchmarks don't like....

Just get the 9700KF if it is less expensive... (make sure your mainboard's BIOS supports it if it is an older 300-series mainboard like a Z370...; many support 9700K/KF, etc., but with a BIOS update first...
im planning on getting a z390a for it. and what is this bios update that needs to happen? thank you

Within the next month or so, Intel should be releasing 6-core, 12-thread i5s that should perform similar to the current i7s, and 8-core, 16-thread i7s that should perform similar to the current i9s, so if you don't need to build right away, it might be worth waiting for that. They will require different motherboards from the current processors though.

Reactions: Phaaze88
May 13, 2020
Within the next month or so, Intel should be releasing 6-core, 12-thread i5s that should perform similar to the current i7s, and 8-core, 16-thread i7s that should perform similar to the current i9s, so if you don't need to build right away, it might be worth waiting for that. They will require different motherboards from the current processors though.
thanks for the heads up