i7 8700K vs i7 7700K

RhinoTV

Reputable
Mar 2, 2017
Okay so I already know im going to annoy a lot of people but hear me out. So i do not know anything about cpu's but I got a i7 8700k. I got no idea on how to overclock but id love to do it (but not risking it). The 7700k has 4.2ghz while my 8700k has 3.7ghz. I know mine is the best going but this one has more ghz and i dont have to oc!?

What should i do?? I like editing and playing games if that changes anything.

Solution
Set your computers power setting to high performance. Your cpu will always run ats its best setting and you don't have to overclock it if you do not wish to.
However your motherboard bios should have an automatic overclock setting, probably about 15%. It will ask you what kind of cooling and what you are using it for and then overclock you cpu with that information without having to set 20 some odd settings in bios. With very safe limits.
Should be more than fast enough for all games without resorting to worrying about or considering overclocking.

If your cooling solution is adequate, Asus/MSI Z370 boards support MCE/Enhanced Turbo Boost, respectively, which would run all cores at max turbo if cooling solution /power delivery permits. (That last 100-300 MHz, boosts power requirements by ~50%, and raises heat from 75C to 92C, typically)

RhinoTV

Reputable
Mar 2, 2017
I mean I got a good cpu cooler. It’s a Corsair h115i pro. When I go into things like c cleaner it says 3.7ghz on the top and it does that on other programs. So does it go up the the turbo boost when I’m playing games or rendering ?? Or do I have to change it myself?

Turbo is automatic it kicks in when the PC can use the extra power and its not running into the thermal ceiling. No effort on your part is required.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Set your computers power setting to high performance. Your cpu will always run ats its best setting and you don't have to overclock it if you do not wish to.
However your motherboard bios should have an automatic overclock setting, probably about 15%. It will ask you what kind of cooling and what you are using it for and then overclock you cpu with that information without having to set 20 some odd settings in bios. With very safe limits.

Solution

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016

ok so what is your problem then I don't get it. You talk about 3.7 vs 4.2 , then when I tell you how to be faster than 3.7 you say you don't need all that power. So you answered your own question.:heink:

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
What should i do?? I like editing and playing games if that changes anything
I recommend 8700k. Editing, streaming and similar stuff benefit from more cores. You could always overclock 8700K to 4.7GHz on all cores easily (4.3Ghz stock turbo on all cores). It's more future proof too with the higher core count.
I got no idea on how to overclock but id love to do it (but not risking it).
Overclocking on newer hardware is safe as the components have many safety features built in. If you have questions about OC, you could always ask here.