i7 8700k vs i7 8086k

RhinoTV

Reputable
Mar 2, 2017
So i was looking at the cpu and wanted to know if i got it right now would it work. As in is it the same socket?? Also would it be worth the extra bit of $ ?? I already got a 8700k but was going to return for it

Solution
What is your motherboard?
Unless you have a Z370 based motherboard you can not overclock a "K".

Overclocking these days is a bit of a misnomer.
In the bios, you simply raise the all core multiplier from the stock 37 to a higher number.
Until 47 or so, you may be able to leave voltages on auto.
Most 8700k chips will go to perhaps 50 while still running at a safe vcore.
That is around 1.35-1.4v.
Monitor with cpu-Z during a stress test.

If money is no object, a i7-8086K stock multiplier is 40 and it has been selected(binned) as a better quality chip that will more easily go past 50 whild still running at a safe voltage.

The general consensus is that the price premium is not worth much.
Of course, "WORTH" is something only you can...
Yes, it is the same socket and will drop into any 300 series motherboard. No, it would not be worth the extra money, they are the same chips. The 8086k is just clocked a little higher, than the 8700k.

The 8086k is a binned chip, so it should be able to hit higher overclocks than the 8700k, so if you are really into overclocking, then it may be worth it. But for the vast majority of people, it is definitely not.

They are really the same CPU with the 8086K just binned a bit better thus allowing for a slightly higher boost clock. Ultimately the 8086K may be able to overclock just a tinny bit better...but they are the same CPU. Oh and the 8086K will fit the same socket as the 8700K..

RhinoTV

Reputable
Mar 2, 2017
just i dont know much about cpu's and overclocking at all. I dont want to do it and this has more GHz (please dont laugh ive no idea what im doing :) Anyways it has a higher turbo speed so thought it would be good ?

The little bit of extra performance the 8086k is going to give you is not worth the quite significant extra cost. If you don't want to oc there is little point in getting the 8086k too since it's a chip made for the people that want to oc their cpu's to the limit.

What is your motherboard?
Unless you have a Z370 based motherboard you can not overclock a "K".

Overclocking these days is a bit of a misnomer.
In the bios, you simply raise the all core multiplier from the stock 37 to a higher number.
Until 47 or so, you may be able to leave voltages on auto.
Most 8700k chips will go to perhaps 50 while still running at a safe vcore.
That is around 1.35-1.4v.
Monitor with cpu-Z during a stress test.

If money is no object, a i7-8086K stock multiplier is 40 and it has been selected(binned) as a better quality chip that will more easily go past 50 whild still running at a safe voltage.

The general consensus is that the price premium is not worth much.
Of course, "WORTH" is something only you can determine.

My suggestion would be to hang on a bit and consider the upcoming 9th gen processors.
Indications are that you will get an increase in performance and they may still run on current 300 series motherboards.

Solution

Since you are not really an enthusiast, I would not recommend getting the 8086k. As for performance, there will be no real world difference between the 8086k and the 8700k. The 8700k is generally considered one of the best all-around CPUs in the world as it has great single and multi threaded performance. So if I were you, I would not think too hard about it.

Use the money saved to get a bigger SSD. If your a gamer, use the money saved and get some more games.