I7 8700k worse than my i7 7700k?

Jun 30, 2018
Ok so I build a new pc and imidietly after putting it together I noticed how much slower it booted and opens files than my old system did.
I know I 8700k base is 3.7 i oc to 4.5 and still felt it was slower. Any suggestions? If not I'm going to sell it or see if I can get a rufund. Ps my i7 7700k is at base 4.2
Old specs
17 7700k
Rosewill 850w gold 80+
16gb 2400 ram pny
212 evo heatsink
Aoura oc mobo
1tb cuda

New system specs
I7 8700k
Same psu
Same ram
Scythe mugen max 140 heat sink
Gigabyte z370xp oc mobo
2tb cuda

Jun 30, 2018

I wiped my system and reinstalled it.

D

Deleted member 217926

You might very well be thermal throttling with that dinky 212 Evo even at stock. It's NOT sufficient for an 8700K. Check your temps.

No SSD?

Jun 30, 2018

I have a scythe mugen max on the 8700k

You are using that cheap budget cooler on a I7 8700K?

You need to get something better than that.

D

Deleted member 217926

I missed that. It's better than the 212 Evo. It still might not be good enough for an 8700K. Check your temps.

The SSD will make a bigger difference to load and boot times than going from a dual core i3 to an 8700K will.

evyosh

Honorable
Sep 11, 2015
SSD will make your boot time faster!!!
Even if you have top of the line Hardware and you are still using spinning hard drive the boot time will always be for the speeds your HDDs run/read. That's why you see new SSDs and intel optane ssd to make things faster reading/writing/windows. if you want to have speed boot ups and open applications fast you need to move to a SSD. i bought like 3 SSDs for my PC build now and SSDs are super cheap not like before. i only use a HDD to store files and other stuff like videos/songs/movies/junks. For Games, applications, windows all SSD.

For your CPU cooler i dont think thats a good choice tho. check your temps.
my i7 8700K boosts its self to 4.7 without even needing to OC it and im using the Corsair H115i. Idle temps are currently around 28-30 when gaming it jumps up to 50-55.

Slower boot times and file opening are nothing to do with the 8700K...As stated by others an SSD will make a world of difference that you will see and feel instantly over the old type HD's. You have a top of the range CPU and it would really like a SSD, they are super cheap now as well...

jerrylee22

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

The Hyper 212 Evo is sufficient for even an overclocked i7 8700k. At stock, with poorly applied paste I had my old Hyper 212 Evo peaking at less than 70C under load. At 4.8ghz six cores, it was peaking at 84C with Prime95. I don't know what information you're receiving, but you seem pretty posh about it and don't seem to factor in the engineering of the processor in your assessment.
I suppose I can understand you being ignorant, but you're seemingly arrogant about it.

D

Deleted member 217926

Ignorant? Arrogant?

https://techreport.com/blog/32661/just-how-hot-is-coffee-lake

"Regardless, I fired up our system in this state and cued up Prime95 Small FFTs again. The chip proceeded to throttle on several cores with a 1.308V Vcore (a difficult figure to monitor given the plunging core clocks, but I tried). That throttling meant the chip was running into its 100° C Tjunction limit on some cores, so the motherboard's automatic voltage control is probably a tad too aggressive given my manual overclocking experience. I also tried running Blender with multi-core enhancement enabled, and while all of the cores got to around 89° C under that load, the chip didn't throttle. That result still suggests a Hyper 212 Evo-class cooler probably isn't sufficient for holding the overclocked i7-8700K in check, given how little headroom it offers."

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/07/18/cooler_master_hyper_212_evo_air_review/4

Li56Tt7.png

Might want to be a bit nicer when using adjectives. Especially to someone who can use one you can't. Banned.

jerrylee22

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Well, then I don't understand how I've had lower temperatures and no problems with the Hyper 212 EVO even doing [some] overclocking with i7 8700k and even with a higher Vcore than mentioned in the first quote (with the same clock speed).
Your second link even says: "However, if you are in the market for a cooler that will perform fantastically at stock clocks, as well as handle some fairly aggressive overclocking, and don't need dead silence or all the Frag Harder Disco Lights, the Hyper 212 EVO represents a value that is going to be nearly impossible to beat." and I've observed exactly that with the Hyper 212 EVO and the i7 8700k. It's cheap, and it works fine, so long as you install it correctly.
I even did a horrible job installing it and the paste (because I'd been planing to upgrade soon after) and STILL didn't have the problems others were. I also didn't even have all of my case fans installed yet! Don't understand, but I guess I can understand where you could have gotten this information from.

Reason I said that, is because there are so many people that are arrogant about coolers, and say that any air cooling heat sink is a piece of crap, even if they have never actually tried it for themselves. Obviously, an AIO or custom liquid loop is going to have lower temperatures and be better for off the rails overclocking, but for some reason they seem to think peaking 80C under major stress is a death sentence (which professionals and the engineering will tell you isn't). It seems to be similar to men comparing the size of their genitals - it doesn't actually matter in the long run, but if you want to go overboard, it could make a difference to some people.

evyosh

Honorable
Sep 11, 2015

Give us your CPU results? then we might actually be able to see what you are saying. there are so many threads and forums about how hot this i7 8700K is running and i know how much heat it can generate because i have it.