Question i7 8700K, Z390, Constant Blue Screen, Unable to install or run Windows.

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I had this in its box for over a year, brand new, and finally got round to trying to install it into a PC. The board I was installing it in is a MSI Z390 MEG ACE.
I installed a new M.2 NVME Hard Drive, to install Windows 10 on, but I can’t get it to install without Blue Screen errors. I did manage, with perseverance, to get it to install and run once, but once again the dreaded Blue Screen came back, each time with a different error. I managed to boot the PC into Safe Mode, on the one occasion windows 10 actually installed, and it seemed to work fine, but who wants to run a PC in Safe Mode?
I removed the i7 8700K and replaced it with an i5 9600K and it worked perfectly, no errors at all, perfect, so I am totally at a loss as to the problem.
I have decided to keep the i5 9600K in the system as it could be a problem with the i7 8700K itself, I just don’t know.

I have tried the CPU in Z370 Motherboard with the same results

RAM is: Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3000C16W Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz C16 XMP 2.0

I have also tried installing Windows 8.1, in case I had a bad Windows 10 disc, the exact same thing happened.

I am leaning towards a bad CPU :(

Errors include...

Kernel Security Check Failure
APC Index Mismatch
Memory Management
System Service Exemption
Kmode Exception Not Handled
Driver IRQL Not Less Or Equal

Any advice gratefully received