May 3, 2019
I purchased an ibuypower system with an 8700K. It has an AIO cooler but i suspect it's not that great. Running MSI Z390 pro, i turned on Turbo enhance to run all 6 cores at 4.7. It hits 100C and throttles periodically on intel extreme tuner. I'm merely a casual gamer, and was tinkering.

Do i need AIO or can i go air cooled (I'll add fans to case to improve that when time comes)? I'm not looking to go crazy, but i'd like to set it at 4.7gh because i can with a click.

Does anyone have some actual knowledge of their AIO and it's performance? Am i right thinking it's not that great. I'l also note that i'm sure it's stock thermal paste from intel.

Also, it runs on load (battlefield, divison 2, intel xtreme) between 60-73. I think that is crap for an AIO but from what i hear it is a hot chip. Stock idle is at 35-38c

Not trying to knock the company, so please don't get into that.

thanks

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You certainly can go air cooled, or AIO. But remember, not all AIOs (or air coolers for that matter) are created equal.

I can't find many iBuyPower setups with an AIO and 8700K, but the one I can find clearly shows a 120mm AIO mounted as exhaust.
81MlFq0orRL._SL1500_.jpg

Almost/All 120mm AIOs are pretty pointless. They can be rivaled/bettered by even fairly cheap air coolers.

FWIW, Turbo Enhance on that board likely provided a significant bump in voltage - a bump that is unnecessary for the clocks you're trying to achieve. Manually tuning in the BIOS would be a better route to go.

May 3, 2019
Yeah, i purchased black friday 18', and i'm not sure if still listed. This setup you show is similar. I appreciate the info on the OC. I'll take the time to manually tune when i get to it.

I've never been a fan of liquid and frankly never had need because i didn't really overclock. With that, if i put a mild overlock to this CPU, would air suffice (assuming i have air flow, etc.)[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A solid air cooler (~$80) range will rival more expensive AIOs.
As you push the limited of an OC, AIOs can help - but even at that pricepoint, there are very good air coolers - although they tend to be bulky.

I run an NH-D15 on my 8086K. At 5GHz under a torture test with AVX instructions it ran in the high 80s to mid 90s. In the 70's for non-AVX torture.
So, for gaming use, or non-AVX workloads, something like an NH-D15 will keep the chip perfectly cool, and it's a ~$90 cooler.

As an aside, the TIM between the die and IHS is pretty poor. A delid of my 8086K shaved ~15'C off all cores.
Not suggesting you run out and delid, just pointing out that there is another limiting factor beyond just the cooler - although a 120mm AIO really isn't up to the task.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I bought an IBP rig with 8700k and an air cooler. They did an abysmal job of applying thermal paste. Probably worth redoing. You could probably run 4.7 all core with that cooler if you put some time in. Auto voltage is probably just throwing way to much voltage at the cpu when using MCE. At this point you are manually overclocking though. If you start messing with the vcore you'll need to monitor and stress test. It should only take about 1.2 - 1.25 vcore using llc 5 to run 4.7ghz. I can confirm a $30 air cooler can handle that. I would assume a 120 aio could as well.