Mar 4, 2021
unknown.png

I tried undervolting my CPU using throttlestop but I noticed that the C0% level is usually hovering over 10 which is very high, and there are no tasks taking up that much power besides system idle according to my task manager. On top of that, my clock speed is always much higher than the base speed at idle which makes no sense considering my power plan is on balanced. How do I lower both of these? Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
When you tried to undervolt what were the settings that you messed around with? You should only work with CPU core voltage and CPU cache voltage and gradually work your way down by 10mv's each time, after the prior undervolt's stress testing did not result in a lock up.

Make and model of your laptop and it's SKU?

Reactions: thelegendofpyro
Mar 4, 2021
When you tried to undervolt what were the settings that you messed around with? You should only work with CPU core voltage and CPU cache voltage and gradually work your way down by 10mv's each time, after the prior undervolt's stress testing did not result in a lock up.

Make and model of your laptop and it's SKU?

My PC is an Acer Predator Helios 300, GTX 1060 6gb, i7-8750h 2.2ghz max 4.1ghz. I've only messed around with both the CPU cache and core voltage, but even when I turn throttlestop off the levels still remain around the same levels at idle.

Mar 4, 2021
Something must be running in the background on your computer. Open the Task Manager Details tab and see if it shows anything.

An Intel CPU is not designed to slow down if there are background tasks that are waiting to be processed.

5Cb9klz.png

The only thing it shows is System Idle Processes which is irrelevant, and SVChost.exe which takes up practically nothing most of the time.

My issue now is that when my PC is under a heavy load, the clock speeds actually go below my base clock speed, and when I'm at idle it stays around it's maximum but fluctuates quite a bit. My initial thoughts are that this is because of thermal throttling, but my temperatures are the same as they have always been and my voltage use is the same as it's always been. I have a feeling that everytime I edit something in throttlestop it doesn't even change anything because I've tweaked with it too much.

ThrottleStop 9.3
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Start by upgrading ThrottleStop. The new version no longer uses any of the WinRing0 related files so you can delete them and you can delete the RwDrv.sys file too. This new version has its own driver and is self contained. It is safer without WinRing0.

When your CPU is loaded and running below the base frequency, open Limit Reasons and post a screenshot of ThrottleStop with Limit Reasons open. This should show why your CPU is throttling. It is usually one of the power limits, PL1 or PL2, that you will see lighting up red.

I have seen some Dell laptops force the power limit down to 15W or less. This is well below the 45W TDP rating for your CPU. What laptop model do you have? Most throttling is power limit related, not thermal related.

Mar 4, 2021
ThrottleStop 9.3
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Start by upgrading ThrottleStop. The new version no longer uses any of the WinRing0 related files so you can delete them and you can delete the RwDrv.sys file too. This new version has its own driver and is self contained. It is safer without WinRing0.

When your CPU is loaded and running below the base frequency, open Limit Reasons and post a screenshot of ThrottleStop with Limit Reasons open. This should show why your CPU is throttling. It is usually one of the power limits, PL1 or PL2, that you will see lighting up red.

I have seen some Dell laptops force the power limit down to 15W or less. This is well below the 45W TDP rating for your CPU. What laptop model do you have? Most throttling is power limit related, not thermal related.

Acer Predator Helios 300, I7-8750H, PH315-51 is my laptop model.

unknown.png

@thelegendofpyro The screenshot clearly shows that your CPU is THERMAL throttling. It cannot run at full speed if it is running too hot. Acer reduced the Intel specified 100°C thermal throttling temperature down to 95°C.

Time to pull your laptop apart and improve the cooling. It needs a thorough cleaning and if that is not enough, you will need to replace the thermal paste between the CPU and its heatsink. Your 45W CPU is being limited to 12.8W. Definitely a cooling problem.

Post a picture of the FIVR window. Some computers have disabled CPU voltage control.

Last edited: