[SOLVED] I7-8750H limit undervolting

Aug 28, 2019
Hello everyone. I would like to explain my problem with I7 8750H. Recently i bought a gaming laptop ( ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR 2 GL704GW-PS71) and at the moment i got it i am suffering from laptop overheating when playing games / editing videos. So i dug up a little bit to find any solution that can reduce overheating. I found out that undervolting is very useful and can lay down a very good result. Unfortunately i couldn't achive more than - 0.055 VID because of the limited undervolting in my cpu. So is there anything I can do to lower laptop temperature without using the undervolt beside repaste the cpu and undervolt gpu? I will be very grateful for reply.

Solution
I did lowered the clockspeed, but it will have a negative impact on the overall performance.

Yes, it will hurt performance, but maybe not too bad. It will depend on the application. Cooling is a big issue with gaming laptops. You are putting a lot of hardware in a very small form factor. I have a Predator Helios 300 I take when I travel and it gets warm too, but not too bad. I did undervolt the CPU and gets in the low 80's when gaming.

You should not need to repaste the CPU. It is too new to need that. If it is too hot, then consider taking it back as maybe there is something wrong with it. Additionally, you want to make sure you are using it on a smooth surface and not a bed or blanket. You need to make sure that...
I did lowered the clockspeed, but it will have a negative impact on the overall performance.

Yes, it will hurt performance, but maybe not too bad. It will depend on the application. Cooling is a big issue with gaming laptops. You are putting a lot of hardware in a very small form factor. I have a Predator Helios 300 I take when I travel and it gets warm too, but not too bad. I did undervolt the CPU and gets in the low 80's when gaming.

You should not need to repaste the CPU. It is too new to need that. If it is too hot, then consider taking it back as maybe there is something wrong with it. Additionally, you want to make sure you are using it on a smooth surface and not a bed or blanket. You need to make sure that it can breath through the vents to improve temps.

You may also want to see if you can adjust the CPU fan speed. I am not familiar with Asus laptops, but most have a built in software program where you can increase the fan curve or set it to performance mode.

One other option other than down clocking would be turning off hyper threading. For games, you wont see a performance hit, but for video editing, you will want to keep hyper threading turned on. With hyper threaded disabled it may lower your temps some and allow you to lower the voltage even more.

Reactions: Unbroken93
Solution
Aug 28, 2019

You should not need to repaste the CPU. It is too new to need that. If it is too hot, then consider taking it back as maybe there is something wrong with it. Additionally, you want to make sure you are using it on a smooth surface and not a bed or blanket. You need to make sure that it can breath through the vents to improve temps.

You may also want to see if you can adjust the CPU fan speed. I am not familiar with Asus laptops, but most have a built in software program where you can increase the fan curve or set it to performance mode.

One other option other than down clocking would be turning off hyper threading. For games, you wont see a performance hit, but for video editing, you will want to keep hyper threading turned on. With hyper threaded disabled it may lower your temps some and allow you to lower the voltage even more.
Thank you very much for the reply i will consider what you said very carefully