Question I7 8750H stucks at 1 GHz while gaming.

Jan 22, 2020
Hello,

I've recently installed Battlefield 1 and looking over the requirements I should be able to play with consistent 60 fps on low to medium settings but I am not reaching even near that fps. The most I could reach was 20-30 fps which is horrible experience with stutters every second.
My CPU shows 650 points on Cinebench r15 ,while other people have reached 1000 and above. Once I start playing games the clock speed drops down to around 1GHz and 100% usage and the clock speed never goes up until I minimize or close the game window. Usually my CPU should be able to reach stable 3.9 GHz with Turbo Boost , which it does until I start a game. I'm doing these testings with AC plugged in, High performance mode selected in Power options and with 100 % processor state. Battlefield 1 is using all 6 cores/12 threads, GPU usage is around 80% , so basically my question is how to force my CPU to work on full clock speed because from my limited experience that seems to be the problem for the low fps and stutters. I tried using ThrottleStop which resolves the problem by getting the CPU clock speed around 3.8 GHz but once I open BF1 it drops again around 1GHz. I have installed latest updates to every component so drivers should not be an issue.
I know this is not a gaming laptop but it looks powerful enough to play such games adequately.
Laptop specs : Dell XPS 15 9570
CPU : I7 8750H
GPU : Geforce 1050ti Max Q design.
RAM : 16 GB

Sorry for my bad English, looking forward your suggestions!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020
Your English is just fine.

I found this during a Google search and it might be a driver issue

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/6ki2dr/bf1_fps_drops_gpu_clock_all_over_the_place_fine/

Use DDU To remove all Nvidia an AMD graphics drivers if they exist in safe mode then reboot and reinstall your drivers

welcome to the forum!
Thank you for your reply.

I did exactly as you said but unfortunately the problem persists. CPU usage is still very high, at low clock speed. I've noticed that from time to time it goes up to ~3.3 Ghz and game experience becomes much smoother with stable 60 fps but it does not last long.

[fixed] View: https://imgur.com/a/21R6Mgk
[/fixed]

This is how the stats look like most of the time, it is unplayable. And I remember having similar fps on a much much older laptop.

I also disabled Origin in-game and Xbox overlay as some people had issues with them. I tried all possible settings in game like V-sync, Direct X 11/12 , different resolutions, all settings to low/medium/high and fps does not change much. All settings in the Nvidia Control Panel are set to "Prefer High Performance".

I have no idea what else to try, could you suggest anything?

Best Regards!

Jan 22, 2020
It looks like its thermal throttling, its at 81*c with only 903Mhz Try placing the laptop on a smooth surface or propping up the back to help get more into the fans for better cooling.
I'm always keeping the laptop on hard flat surface, especially when using more demanding apps. What can I do to lower the temperature? The laptop was bought in late 2018 it was barely used , mostly for web browsing, so the thermal paste should be fine?

I did check once the clock speed reaches 4 GHz the temperature rises instantly to 97 degrees Celsius and the clock speed goes down.

D

Deleted member 14196

yeah, i don't think replacing thermal paste would do any good unless it wasn't done right in the first place. that cooler might be what you want

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Maybe it was never a good thermal paste application, If ya know how to and feel comfortable with taking the laptop apart I’d get some gelid gc extreme or kingpin thermal paste. My laptop used to hit 80+c on the i7 7700hq I put in gelid gc extreme and now it runs between 65 and 75c. I also have a gigabyte brix i7 760 and those were known for thermal throttling like crazy I put on some kingpin paste and now it doesn’t thermal throttle

Thank you for your reply.

I did exactly as you said but unfortunately the problem persists. CPU usage is still very high, at low clock speed. I've noticed that from time to time it goes up to ~3.3 Ghz and game experience becomes much smoother with stable 60 fps but it does not last long.

[fixed] View: https://imgur.com/a/21R6Mgk
[/fixed]

This is how the stats look like most of the time, it is unplayable. And I remember having similar fps on a much much older laptop.

I also disabled Origin in-game and Xbox overlay as some people had issues with them. I tried all possible settings in game like V-sync, Direct X 11/12 , different resolutions, all settings to low/medium/high and fps does not change much. All settings in the Nvidia Control Panel are set to "Prefer High Performance".

I have no idea what else to try, could you suggest anything?

Best Regards!
The best way to reduce temps is to undervolt the CPU and limit boost speed to base clocks. You can also buy a cooler pad and replace thermal paste with Grizzly Kryonaut on the CPU and GPU.

https://www.amazon.ca/HAVIT-HV-F205...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Laptop cpu coolers are weak.
They are that way because of space, weight and size considerations.
If you are throttling, and I suspect you are, the cpu multiplier will lower and your cpu utilization will rise.
When you throttle, the temperature will lower for a while then the multiplier will raise and the cycle starts again.

Monitor your temperatures with something that can show the current, high and low temperatures.
HWmonitor is one.
There might be some that will record a continuous graph of temperatures.
A stress test with OCCT would be one way.
100c. is the throttle point for Intel.

What can you do about it??
Really, not much.
If your temperatures at idle are high, say greater than 15c. over ambient, then there might be a problem with your cooling system.
Is the fan running?
Are the cooling intake and exit airways clear?
Possibly the thermal compound used is no longer good.

Some sort of a fan to get more cooling air into the cooling intake might help.

Inconsistency is probably more bothersome than lower average performance.
You could try setting your maximum cpu performance to less than 100%.
In windows power management, try 80% as a max processor performance and see how you do.

Reactions: stonecarver

TRENDING THREADS