Question i7-8750H with High Performance graphics vs i7-7700K without

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
HI all, on intel's site that lists all their processors, they have some i7 processors with "high performance graphics" such as the i7-8750H and some that don't say "high performance graphics" such as the i7-7700k. the i7-7700 does have integrated graphics though. what is the difference? is just just that the i7-8750H has better graphics? or are they just including it in the name now? I'm building an HTPC soon which will also use for photo editing. will it be a benefit to me to choose a cpu that says with "high performance graphics"?

The built-in/integrated graphics on both CPUs are very similar. The 8750H is a mobile/laptop processor that you can only buy in a laptop.

If you want to build an HTPC you should consider AMD's Ryzen APUs such as the Ryzen 3 2200G or Ryzen 5 2400G. They have much better built-in graphics.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
ok the description says "vertical segment: mobile". thanks. but i'm using an nVidia 1059Ti video card right now. so I don't really need any integrated graphics. I just wanted to know the difference.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I know. i mean in general. is more cores at lower speed better than less cores at higher speeds? I guess it depends on whether the applications use multiple cores or not.
Yes, it really depends. It's also harder when looking at mobile CPUs, as their performance depends a lot on how high and long they can boost based on the cooling capabilities of the laptop.

If your application scales very well across the full number of cores the processor has you could roughly estimate which one would perform better by taking # of cores multiplied by frequency (all core turbo frequency, if applicable) and seeing which has a higher result. If an 8750H could actually maintain its max 6-core turbo of 3.9 GHz indefinitely, it would likely outperform a 7700K in video transcoding. Not sure how photo editing would fare.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Here's a page on plex CPU requirements.

By the way the talk about scaling CPU with number of streams being transcoded, it seems to imply that it will use multiple cores. But it looks like you only really need a lot of cores/power if you have multiple streams going at once that require transcoding.

And most desktop CPUs get both more cores and higher clockspeeds as you move up the product stack, so you typically won't have a big dilemma of choosing either cores or speed.