[SOLVED] i7 920 overclocking advice

cassian69

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Hey so i upgraded to a rx 570 and i have an i7 920 but i feel like it holds back the gpu in some instances so i wanna ask a few questions
Will overclocking make my cpu use some power?
What's the "safe limit"i can go to with overclocking this cpu

Solution
For your first question yes overclocking your cpu will draw more power since it will be running at a higher frequency. Now onto the second question you need to specify your motherboard and also you power supply since it depends on both what you can do with that processor.
Also that cpu is very old about 10 years i'm sure it will bottleneck even a rx570 but overclocking it will definitely give some extra performance.
well i found the answers by myself thanks to one of my friends and i haven't had any instances where the gpu got bottlenecked yet but i just wanna make sure

Vlad.-.

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
For your first question yes overclocking your cpu will draw more power since it will be running at a higher frequency. Now onto the second question you need to specify your motherboard and also you power supply since it depends on both what you can do with that processor.
Also that cpu is very old about 10 years i'm sure it will bottleneck even a rx570 but overclocking it will definitely give some extra performance.

cassian69

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
well i found the answers by myself thanks to one of my friends and i haven't had any instances where the gpu got bottlenecked yet but i just wanna make sure

Solution
The i7 920 is an early low end version of that CPU series. Most mother boards that support that can run up to an i7-990X, and also some Xeons as well. X5690, X5687, W3680. Even if it has a locked BIOS there's a lot you can still do with that platform.
I would look up your system at userbenchmark.com and see what CPUs can run in it, and the level of performance available. Some of the faster 6 core Xeons are $20 CPUs now. here are some old Dell X58 workstations with up to RTX2080 GPUs.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Dell-Precision-WorkStation-T3500--/2522

TRENDING THREADS