I7 920 overclocking BSOD's thoughts?

I am looking for some thoughts/tips on why I am getting random BSOD's with my current setup. If someone has done overclocking on a setup like this I would like to see what your settings are. I have done a lot of reading on overclocking these processors and put at least 100 hours into this to no avail. Now to really complicate things I have 2 of the exact same systems 1 is running Linux 24/7 and doing Seti with no issues at the same settings. I have run Prime 95 for over 24 hrs on the Windows based system with no errors/warnings. The drivers on the windows based system are all the latest and I keep them up to date.

System Components:
Full tower case (many air mods for better flow and sound deadening) (cables zip tied down)
Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme (2 fans in push/pull) (max temps 72C under full load)
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Intel i7 920 D stepping
Asus 8800 GTX at factory settings (waiting for a Nvidia 3XX upgrade)
Cooler Master UCP 1100 Watt Power supply
6 X Noiseblocker S series 120mm fans (2 on front of case, 2 on back of case, 2 on CPU)

Bios Information
Version: 0704
Build Date: 11/12/09

Processor
Type: Intel Core i7 920
Speed: 4000MHz

System Memory: 6136MB (3x2G Corsair, 7-7-7-20 1.65volt)

Ai Tweaker (if not listed, setting is auto or default)

Ai Overclock Tuner Manual
CPU Ratio Setting 20.0
Intel ® SpeedStep ™ Tech Disabled
BCLK Frequency 200
PCIE Frequency 100
DRAM Frequency DDR3-1603MHz
UCLK Frequency 3208MHz
QPI Link Data Rate 7128MT/s
DRAM Timing Control
DRAM CAS# Latency 7 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 7 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# PRE Time 7 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay 20 DRAM Clock
CPU Voltage 1.30
CPU PLL Voltage 1.90
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage 1.35
DRAM Bus Voltage 1.66 (memory requires 1.65)
CPU Differential Amplitude 1000mV

Configure advanced CPU settings
CPU Ratio setting 20.0
C1E Support Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch Enabled
Intel Virtualization Tech Disabled
CPU TM Function Enabled
Execute Disable Bit Enabled
Intel HT Technology Enabled
Active Processor Cores All
A20M Disabled
Intel SpeedStep Tech Disabled
Intel C-STATE Tech Disabled

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
With all due respect unless I'm missing something it appears that you are overlooking a very fundamental aspect of OC'ing which is that all hardware is not created equal.

I do something very similar to folding in so far as system stress goes and also have identical component i7 systems but they will not operate successfully at the exact same OC settings simply because of manufacturing differences.

You're trying to run a machine at 4Ghz steady and are surprised that you get BSOD's?

Chances are that chip just doesn't want to go that far or some other component of that PC is unhappy with pushing the limits.

Trying backing down a bit and I'll bet you cure your problem.

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
And you are certain of this because?

Not being argumentative I just honestly want to know how you arrived at that conclusion since there's no way of you knowing how two different motherboards are going to react to the hardware you stick into them.

Ok, 20 yrs of working with computers, building over 100 and well over 250hrs of testing on this system at anywhere from 2.66G - 4.4G and Prime 95, for one, runs rock stable for 24 hr tests. I have done massive testing on this system with different computer parts. I am not new at this game. I also am not expecting both systems to run at the exact same parameters just because they have the same parts in them. It just so happens that they are at the exact same and run great in Prime 95, memtest86, 3DMark06, ATITool, GPU-Z, CPU-Z.

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I'll be curious to see how things play out.

Sounds like you have lots of ability but no matter how many years you put PC's together all it takes is one wonky part in the motherboard that acts up for unknown reasons and with all the components on there it could be quite the challenge to find if it ever gets found.

In any case good luck.

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
ahnilated if the systems are truly identical then I know it's a pain but for all the hours you have into it what about swapping the cantankerous motherboard into the linux based system and seeing if it still does the BSOD's?

That might nail it down as a windows issue.

Dunno just tossing ideas out there.

pluke the 2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
If this isnt too late.. I hope this can help.

AI Overclock Tuner . . ... Manual
CPU Ratio Setting...........21.0
Speedstep.................... Disabled
BLK Frequency...............192
PCIE Frequency..............100
Dram Frequency.............1539MHZ @ 7-7-7-20 2T
UNLK Frequency.............3079
QPI Frequency...............8468__________________________
CPU Voltage- 1.12 (Manual)
CPU PL- 1.8 (AUTO)
QPI/DRAM- 1.2 (AUTO)
IOH- 1.10 (AUTO)
IOH PCIE- 1.5 (AUTO)
ICH- 1.10 (AUTO)
ICH PCIE- 1.5 (AUTO)
DRAM- 1.66 (MANUAL)
DRAM DATA REF- .5 (AUTO)
DRAM CTRL REF- .5 (AUTO)
Load-Line Calibration- AUTO
CPU Differential Amplitude- 800mV (Manual)
CPU Clock Skew- Normal (Manual)
CPU Spread Spectrum- Disabled (Manual)
IOH Clock Skew- Normal (Manual)
PCIE Spread Spectrum- Disabled (Manual)

Overclocking Power Saving Options -

CIE Support- Disabled (Manual)
Hardware Prefetcher- Enabled (Auto)
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch- Enabled (Auto)
Intel Virtualization Tech- Enabled (Auto)
CPU TM Functiton- Enabled (Auto)
Execute Disable Bit- Enabled (Auto)
Intel HT Tech- Disabled (Manual)
Active Processor Cores- All (Auto)
A20M- Disabed (Manual)
Speedstep- Disabled (Manual)
C-State- Disabled (Manual)

Bold- ALL THE STUFF THAT I CHANGED

BOLD ITALIC - ALL THE THINGS YOU MAY HAVE TO MESS W/ TO GET STABLE...
80GB Intel X-25 SSD
x2 Samsung Spinpoint Raid 0
King 1000 PSU
Corsair DD3 4 GB\\\\\\\'s
Xaser Case, Modded

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

Im a little confused and have some questions if you wouldnt mind:

1. What other settings have you tried that worked?

2. Is your memory at 1600mhz before the overclock?

3. I would advise you to step down to 1.64 w/ memory voltage to reduce the risk of damage. [:thegreatgrapeape:3]

( Yeah, I have tried it anywhere from 1.55 - 1.65 (which the MB changes to 1.66))

Well that's what the issue is. At the settings listed above it works great doing Prime 95 for 24hrs + with it using Blend. Now when you run multitasking stuff like Seti/Folding/multiple games it will BSOD at a random time. I have tried changing every setting that I can think of to make it stable.

I tried these settings just as something different and the system won't even boot. I also tried adjusting voltages and no go.

muratgemici2003

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Jumping tp 4.00 GHz is way too much for the 920. I have heard many people say they can do it and probably they can at less than full load but there is no way the 920 can run at max load at 4.00 GHZ without some insane water or extreme cooling... I have found a modest overclock at 3.2 the best.

reflexsa

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
I had a similar problem with my AMD, I nailed it down to the memory or the HTT link.
I am not sure if the intel stuff has something similar to the HTT link, but I just set my memory and link down to the next lowest frequency.

This is what my pc was doing:

I ran orthos blend for about 8 hours no errors, I then left my pc on for the day only downloading some files. When I returned home from work this pc had rebooted due to a BSOD.
I suspect that the BSOD occurred while decoding some of the files I downloaded.

Later that evening I tested with Prime95 and for some reason it revealed errors on blend, however I did set the priority in the task manager.

Assuming your memory is 1600MHz I don't see that being a problem

After setting the memory and link down my problem was solved.

Perhaps this helps, but I know from experience that computer hardware is like a lucky draw when it comes to overclocking.

pluke the 2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

Totally wrong.

notty22

Distinguished
Expecting two computers assembled with the same hardware/settings to operate correctly at stock settings is a given.
To expect that with a almost 50% overclock is silly.
At the very least the two cpu's might not scale clock speed /voltage the same.
Also the ram is being o/c with tight timings.
the 1336 platform, beyond 1066 memory speed is o/c

Nothing abnormal going on here IMO, just have to work and probably increase vcore a little or back off to 3.8 ghz.
Maybe/and or the same with the memory.

1. I changed the IOH and ICH voltage to 1.2 and tests are running on it.

2. The voltages I am running at are in the first post. The OS is Windows 7 professional with all updates.

3. I have the Nvidia 195.62 driver and there is no overclock on the video card and it runs 55C max with the aftermarket cooler on it.

As stated above, I don't expect them to be exactly the same. It just so happens that they both run at the same voltages and settings just one not 100% stable. This is the reason that I have been doing so much testing and adjusting on it. The ram is NOT being overclocked from it's stock settings of 7-7-7-20 at 1600Mhz 1.65 volts. The Corsair kit TR3X6G1600C7 is designed for that speed. The motherboard will take ram speeds up to 2000Mhz and I know this is considered an overclock because they haven't finished the 1600Mhz memory specification. And as I have stated the settings I have for Vcore work fine in Prime95 for 24+ hrs of testing so I don't see where you think this is a problem. I have also tried voltage adjustments as I have stated for the Vcore. Your post doesn't seem very helpful only argumentative.

pluke the 2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

I agree 100% here. But, when I first built my I7/x58 Combo, I copied one persons bios settings and just started taking down my Vcore, and BOOM it is stable...

So worth a try, I'd say so.

notty22

Distinguished

I think thats twice you've said that to advice. Your resisting answers that question your logic, which is flawed.
How do you troubleshoot a problem any other way but to consider possibilities.
The x58 platform chipset is rated to run at memory speeds of 800/1066 above that is considered overclocking. Your ram is rated to run at those speeds.