oc920

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Hi.
I tried to get my i7 920 to 4ghz yesterday, but after multiple tries it wouldn't boot.
When I press the power button, the fans spin for 1 second before they stop and it tries to reboot itself endlessly.

I've tried to reset the CMOS, take out the battery and ram and leave it like that for some hours but it doesn't help.

The temperature never exceeded 60c and the last stable overclock was 3.8ghz

The motherboard is asus p6t se and the psu is corsair 750w
Can anyone help?

I heard you got problems
I feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems
but OCing ain't one.

OT: My PC did that after I blew out the mobo trying to OC. Yay for having product protection plan and getting a free replacement!

Anyway, what settings did you have it on? And what are your full specs (RAM, GPU, cooling, etc)?

Also, I don't believe the 60C. No way it was 60C under load, even with watercooling. Did you ever run a stress test?

oc920

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Full pc specs:
Cpu: i7 920 D0
Cpu cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo push pull.
Mobo: asus p6t se
Gpu: club3d hd4890
Ram: ocz i7 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 1.65
Psu: corsair tx 750w
HDD's: Intel 520 120gb ssd, Samsung spinpoint f1 1tb, hitachi 5400 rpm 500gb.

It did not exceed 60c during prime 95, the window was open and the side panel was off though.

Settings:
BCLK Frequency - 191
PCIE Fequency - 100
DRAM Frequency - The one under 1600mhz

DRAM CAS# Latency - 8 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 8 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# PRE Time - 8 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# ACT Time - 24 DRAM Clock

CPU Voltage 1.3
CPU PLL Voltage - Auto
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage - 1.32v

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.66v

Rest on auto I believe.

Ok well that doesn't look too bad. QPI maybe a little on the high side but that's more of a personal thing.

So, the problem is even resetting the mobo it won't boot? No way to get into the BIOS?

Usually the reboot cycle can happen if there's a bad OC, and most mobos are programmed that if it reboots 2 or 3 times it will automatically return to safe default values and promt you to go to the BIOS.

When you said you've taken out the mobo battery, did you also unplug the PSU (or switch it off)?

Hmm. You'll have to try "breadboarding" it.

Unplug everything, remove it from case. Set mobo on a cardboard box or similar non static surface, with only CPU and power. Turn on and see what happens (you might need to buy a mobo speaker to hear beep codes)

Then plug in 1 stick of RAM, and turn back on and see what happens. At this point it should be giving a beep for no video. Turn off again.

Plug in your GPU and connect the monitor, then turn on. At this point it should at least show the POST screen. Turn off again.

Plug in your boot drive and turn on. This test should get it into the BIOS where you will probably have to set it up again properly (namely, make sure the HDD is set to ACHI not IDE). See if you can boot into Windows.

If yes, continue plugging things in. If not, try swapping out the RAM stick.

Not really sure how to troubleshoot beyond this, as if it is just doing constant restarts it means something's fubar'ed and you'll need a voltmeter to test what's happening. As I said before, my guess is a faulty mobo.

oc920

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
i unplugged all the hdds and the power to the gpu.
The PC booted and it said i didnt have the 6pin's in the GPU.
I took them in and it all works now :)