I7 920 too slow for Adobe Premier CS4?

bsan89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
First off I'm sorry if this is on the wrong category.
I'm wondering if this is ether a CPU or RAM issue
My rig:

i7 920 @ 3.08ghz
6GB RAM 1600mhz
850 Watt PSU
X58 gigabyte UD5
1tb WD black
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
x2 ATI 5870

Basically, I'm encoding with Adobe Media Encoder cs4.
10min video, using the "Youtube HD" setting 29.9fps.
The size of the file is about 400mb.

And it took me 6 HOURS to get to 25% Thats just crazy.
I left it overnight as the only application running. I'm wondering is this normal.
Or is my cpu or ram just not cutting it. (I know nothing about video rendering btw)

A friend told me, "Hey it really takes a long time for you !!! I use also wmv9 at 1920x1080 8000kps PAL and if the clip is 10min. long i need max. 30min. to encode it !!! I use nero vision . My cpu is at 4ghz but when it is a 2.67ghz(defaut) it does take longer but not as much as yours.
Sometimes i use MPG2 at 20.000kps , it is very fast encode but i makes a 1.4gb file for 10min. of video. I dont use this anymore because it takes to long to upload to youtube but it is better that wmv."

30min compare to over 6hr! Wow!

Solution
Wow- thats kinda crazy... You've got a very nice rig there and that shouldn't be holding you back in ANYTHING really. You might try OCing a bit higher than your 3.08, but still, you should be fine. Could be you have a setting or so wrong in AMEcs4 or the program is not running properly. I would think if you really had a RAM problem it wouldn't just take a long time, but rather crash out or lock up or something. Do you have hyperthreading enabled and aren't forcing it to use just a single core or something? Run your task manager and see what your CPU usage is when you are running it.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Wow- thats kinda crazy... You've got a very nice rig there and that shouldn't be holding you back in ANYTHING really. You might try OCing a bit higher than your 3.08, but still, you should be fine. Could be you have a setting or so wrong in AMEcs4 or the program is not running properly. I would think if you really had a RAM problem it wouldn't just take a long time, but rather crash out or lock up or something. Do you have hyperthreading enabled and aren't forcing it to use just a single core or something? Run your task manager and see what your CPU usage is when you are running it.

Solution

bsan89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
Thanks for the reply flyinfinnl.
An Adobe tech answer my question.

Wasn't anything wrong with my machine.
He said the latest version of Adobe Media Encoder CS4 is "BROKEN"
WOW! I just spend tons of $ on this suite and I got a broken encoder.
So he suggest I uninstall and reinstall and don't update my encoder pass 4.1.

Phew well no problem with my CPU or Ram then.