i7-920 turbo boost lags system time... Help!

PanKJ

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
Hey guys, I recently bought a new PSU with enough power to enabled turbo boost for my CPU. Even if the system itself is stable, the system's time kept falling behind. I simply synced it with internet time until today... Today I tried to play an audio file with VLC and I noticed the lag affected it too, the audio freezes every few seconds for a moment. Same for movies too. I just restarted and disabled turbo boost to find out everything works fine again.

Does anybody know a workaround, or heard about this issue before? I would like to keep using turbo boost because it greatly speeds up compilation times with visual studio. Thanks in advance.

My motherboard is a ga-x58a-ud3r with the latest BIOS.

If by system time you're referring to your clock within windows losing time then I would consider replacing the cmos battery on the motherboard. It's a flat coin cell like a large watch battery. That can have various adverse effects. I've not heard of turbo boost causing those issues. There could be something else causing problems but that's where I'd start. You shouldn't have to sync your clock to keep the time steady.

PanKJ

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016

However, the clock works correctly when I disable turbo boost. Shouldn't this imply that my battery is ok? A quick search in VLC forums (https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=102592) reveals that more people had a similar issue with this specific CPU. Any other ideas?

TRENDING THREADS