I7 930 @ 2.8 Ghz Overclocking

LeugimX

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Hello there,
I'm new at OC and dont know much about it. I read an online guide in order to overclock a 920 wich is similar to mine.

So here are my settings with first OC:

Core Frequency: 3,3 Ghz
(BCLK F: 160)
core volt: 1,1 V
Core multiplier: x21
Dram Frequecy: 1282
Dram Bus voltage: 1,64 V

Every other settings are set to auto or enabled for turbo mode.

Here is my hardware:
CPU: i7 930 @ 2,8
DDR3: 6Gb Corsair (dont know the frequency...)
Motherboard: P6X58D-E
PSU: Corsair 750W (not sure about the load, might be too much for this)
Videocard: GTX 460
HD: Raid 0 with 2 Sata-II 7200 RPM
CPU cooling Unit: Corsair H70

Thanks for your time.

Your Overclock seems fine, although alittle conservative. You should be able to increase your overclock further providing your CPU temps are good under load.

Did you use a stress testing program like prime95 for atleast 8 hours, if so what were the temps?

Your PSU is fine and will easily handle your hardware.

Make sure that your QPI/VTT is within 0.5V of your DRAM voltage (so in your case atleast 1.14V) otherwise you risk damaging the IMC.

LeugimX

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
I've used prime95 for an hour for my first attempt and wind up stable at 75 degrees.
I assume my temp would have gone higher still if I had left it longer. But this was only to test the parameters and see if I could achieve stable temperature. I wonder if my Dram bus voltage is too high.
Also, i wonder whats the difference in rising a CPU frequency up to 4Ghz with a 21x or a 22x. Whats the difference ? Is one better, lower power consumption ?

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
The 21x and 22x are your Multipliers.

If you take the BLCK and multiply it with the Multiplier it comes to the Frequency of the CPU.

The highest multiplier is the CPUs turbo frequency multiplier. I always like to set my multiplier to the highest it can be on the Nehalems to remove Turbo Boost and to keep it running at its best all the time.