I7 930 - fan issue?

jayl

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Hi, I've recently purchased this cpu and I'm just wondering about the fan behaviour. Sometimes when I turn it on the fan will start spinning, other times it won't start up on power on. I have taken the heatsink off and attached it again to make sure it was properly secured, which it was.

Does this seem odd? Should the fan not start up everytime I power on the machine?

Appreciate if someone can shed some light on this.

jayl

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Might be worth noting that I currently don't have an OS installed on this PC. I haven't tested it under load or left it running for a long period of time.

vTL123

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
The fan should always start up when the computer starts up, because without the heat sink, it can fry the processor in a matter of minutes. Is the cooler the stock cooler that came with your CPU?

jayl

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
I've just taken it off and attached it again, and now it's working all the time. I am getting a few CPU led's pop up on the mobo (x58a-ud3r mobo), indicating voltage above normal but they turn off after a few seconds. Could this be a BIOS configuration?

Also, previously when it turned it on and I had the case standing vertical, the cpu would make sort of a 'ticking' sound, but if I lay it flat it goes away. The heatsink seemed secure when i attempted to move it, so I'm a bit worried this will return.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008

Check to see if you have a wire touching the fan.. that is usually what the tick is. i have seen it a million times sometimes when oriented a certain way it just comes close enough to touch sometimes just barely

Orac

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
For the ticking sound make sure the fan wire doesn't move into the fan. Tape it out of the way. As for fan not stating up, could be connector wasn't seated completely to mobo, since fan now works properly.