reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Hey Guys,

Just upgraded my old system, loving it so far, just a couple of questions to just ease my mind about a couple of things which i am unsure about, trased through the forums and google, but found very limited information.

My Spec:
Coolermaster RC-600 Gladiator Case (Comes with 2x 120mm Fans but ive added an Extra Thermaltake 120mm Intake fan)
i7 930 @ 3.3 (158*21 @ 1.25vcore i believe)
Asus P6X58D-E
3x2gb Geil Black Dragon DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Triple Channel
Asus GeForce GTX 470 V2
Titan TTC-NK85TZV2 Fenrir CPU Cooler
4x Sata HDD's (will remove 2 once files have been copied over)
Huntkey Titan 650w PSU

Ive tried to make this as cold as i can on air as i want to over clock the ah heck, BUT i am unsure what the temp limits would be.. Google and Forums suggest nothing above 70 is good, but some suggest over 80 is the limit. I did a prime95 test for about 10mins at 158*21 (3318) and the temps were surprsingly high.

Idle seems to be between 33-40oC depends and what ive just finished doing (after a cooldown period)
CPU - 72oC
The cores (4) were betwwen 75-85 oC
This is with the CPU fan at 100% aswell..
I have reapplied the Thermal Paste (Artic Silver) twice and the results are the same, 1degree more/less.. Ive searched the forums/google to see what results/temps i should be getting around this and people seem to be getting this sort of temp at 3.5ghz+ on a stock cooler.. Some suggest lower the voltage, but this seems to only apply to people with voltages above 1.3... Some suggest disabling HT, but not sure how/why or what this does to the temperatures to be fair.

The HWmonitor software seems to suggest also that the case temp is 30-35MAX which to me seems rather cool.

Also, just found out now, my WEI is rather low for my CPU.

Mine is
CPU - 7.3
GPU - 7.7
RAM - 7.7
HDD - 5.3

Checked a couple which the same chip and they suggest 7.6+ with standard Ghz.. (should this matter? no, but for some reason it does.. a mans pride? :)

Can anybody shed some light on this, or help me out with temperature ranges and the such... What should i be looking at in terms of voltage/bclk/multiplyer/temperatures idle/load to achieve 3.5 to 3.8ghz.

New to all the major overclocking jargon, and the limit of my knowleadge is blank at best (will post my CPU-Z and Temps later once im home)

ANY Help or Info is hugle appreciated!

If your system is stable, then I wouldn't mess with the cpu cooler any more. You have to decide how accurate your temps are. Intel cpus will throttle down if the temps are too high, so it's possible that you're fine. I run my i3 with the room temp up to 90f in the summer with the stock Intel heatsink, but I don't monitor temps. Haven't seen any instability with my system. The WEI numbers are used to measure only specific windows 7 functions, and should not be taken too seriously.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Can only presume the temps are accurate, the ASUS AI Suite and HWMonitor suggest the same Temp's..

With regards to the WEI - I dont based my whole process on this number, just thought the faster the CPU the higher the number, just dont understand this in my case :(

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
So what is the limits of the temperatures should i be looking for?
Whats more important? CPU Temp or Core Temp (Core seems higher all the time, by 10degres)
I can cook my CPU or is there an inbuilt stop so it doesnt overheat?
What about the Voltage? can i lower this to lower the heat it uses? (Its at 1.25v)

I want to get to 3.6min with the system and cooling i have, which seems pretty realistic by the stories ive read on here, and elsewhere...

It would be nice for some useful answers to help me rather then pointless comments...

Thanks

Firstly as far as WEI goes, it's not very good as a benchmark. Try 3DMark Vantage instead (but disable PPU in it's options since your Fermi card will bloat the CPU score).

As for temps and such, you should have a look at this:
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/320834.pdf

*Absolute Maximum voltages: 1.55V Vcore, 1.35V VTT
*Tcase max: 67.9C (CPU temp not core temp)

And yes hyperthreading will drastically increase your temperatures. HT will help with big multithreaded apps but for gaming and such 4 non HT cores is sufficient.

Also if you're OCing with Turbo Boost on, IMO disable Load Line Calibration. You'll have to set a higher "nominal" voltage in the BIOS but it drops down under load. I found it reduced my temps a fair bit. But if you do not use Turbo Boost then keep LLC on as your cores won't need different voltages for different speeds anymore.

The answers are useful. You've installed the heatsink 3 different times; you may want to try a different heatsink. But until you verify your temps, you may be wasting your money. I tried overclocking my cpu recently, but the temps were out of my confort range, so I set them back to normal. If you're not willing to try a different cooler, I would set your cpu to the default settings, and start comparing the difference between them and your overclock. That's about all you can do. I enjoy overclocking my cpu, but don't think it's worth it to spend more money on another heatsink, or risk losing my ssd's. I lost two of them while overclocking, and finally got a temperature warning from windows on the third ssd. So I stopped overclocking.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Just done some tests and things to me seem OK, but does the temperatures look ok or are they to high?

I have disabled HT and LLC also.

CPUTemps.jpg

I don't see any readings that would cause instability in your system. Another gentlemen had high readings with his corsair h50 water cooling setup, so your readings may be fine for your air cooler. Keep your receipts if your cpu is retail boxed. I have used Intel's 3 year warranty once; it took them about 6 days to get a new one to me cross shipped.