I7 950 now or wait for next gen

Status
Not open for further replies.

bas94041

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Should I buy a i7 950 today for $199 or wait for new Intel release? What features will be missed? Looks mostly to be an integrated graphics update.

Solution

i7-950 is available for $199 at MicroCenter, but for in-store pickup only.

I'm in the same boat and I'm definitely waiting until Jan 5 to get the skinny on SB - it's only 6 weeks.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
I would upgrade if you were to use your i7 for a minimum of 2 years...200 that much money considering the investment..And i dont think Intel will want to get rid of the i7..I say go for it..But I suggest to listen to what the other members have to say about it..

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I hate to bust the fans of AMD. But I have been reading that you won't see Bull Dozer till Q2 or Q3. Maybe even late Q1 if they are lucky, which would still be really bad for AMD since SandyBridge rolls out January. I am sure Intel have all their ducks in row. AMD beter be burning the midnight oil or they loose to Intel.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Greg, what does Bulldozer have to do with IvyBridge. IvyBridge is another generation ahead of Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer. Both Sandy Bridge and Bull Dozer will be 32 nm. And Ivy Bridge will be 22 nm. Bulldozer will be going head to head with Sandy Bridge. Not IvyBridge which is over a year away from release and ahead of Bull dozer in terms of technology. I just don't understand why you are comparing Bulldozer with IvyBridge. Illogical

src1425

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

i7-950 is available for $199 at MicroCenter, but for in-store pickup only.

I'm in the same boat and I'm definitely waiting until Jan 5 to get the skinny on SB - it's only 6 weeks.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.