Question i7 950 overheating with Windows 10

Mar 22, 2019
Hi guys,

I have an X58 USB motherboard and an intel i7 950 proc with stock heatsink.

I have been running it find with Windows 7 for 5+ years. Temps were sitting around 40C when idle and 60-70C on a high stress game.

Since installing Windows 10 the proc is idling around 60C while under almost no load.

20190322-tvfk-94kb.jpg

If I play a simple game, when the CPU is only under about 30% load it is heating up to near 100C

If I try to play anything strenuous or even have google chrome open at the same time as the game the PC overheats and shuts down.

This issue did not exist at all with W7. I have completely removed all dust from the case / fans / heatsinks. Cleaned off the old and applied new high quality termal paste.

Since the clean + new paste its helped a tiny bit. Simple game running at 95C, not something I want to do for any meaningful period of time.

I have googled and cant find any known issues for i7 950's and W10. All drivers are upto date.

I could just buy a bigger / better heatsink but I think the issue must be something to do with windows 10. Since the CPU under the same load as W7 (maybe marginally higher) produced way hotter temps.

I could just get a new proc + heatsink, time is really the issue as I am emigrating in 2 weeks to Spain where I imagine its harder to source componants.

Maybe this MB needs upgrading anyway and I should just get a new board etc?

What do you guys think? Any known compatibility issues with i7 950's and W10. Its quite an old proc these days although more than capable for my needs.

Thanks,
Danny

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Never heard anything, but my i7-950 and board are sitting on my desk at the moment. Haven't fired it up in about a year. Was thinking of using it for some silly custom water cooling for no reason. (I kind of want to build a test stand with radiators for feet)

I ran a 160 BLCK as well, 3.67 Ghz with DDR3 1600.

I don't think Intel was pushing out microcode for chips that old through Microsoft, but that could be an explanation. Maybe a spectre or meltdown fix?

If you aren't on the latest BIOS, maybe give that a try.

Mar 22, 2019
Hi Eximo, thanks fot your insights. I will google spectre and meltdown. Updating the BIOS is another great idea. That didnt even occur to me for some reason!

Its a good proc / MB combo. I have resisted getting W10 for so long aswell out of stubbornness and now its going to cost me a few hundred £

Mar 22, 2019
Is there an updated X58 driver set within the last 3-4 years from your MB manufacturer?

Or are you using default MS-provided drivers for a generic X58?

Latest drivers for this board are 2013, latest BIOS update is 2011!!

Windows 10 was released July 2015 so I think there is not going to be anything newer. Looks like I either put a high-quality heat sink on or replace the BM / Proc / RAM and re-install windows which I dont really want to do. I could always downgrade back to W7 but MS is ending support January 2020 anyway :/

Mar 22, 2019
I have gone for the over the top quality heat-sink method because I am lazy and it will be delivered tomorrow and hopefully install quickly.

Will report back tomorrow with results!

Mar 22, 2019
So new heatsink is in. Its a bit of a monster but my case is large enough.

Temps are now sitting at 50C (down from 60C) idle but the important thing is if I load a game where the CPU is going to 80% + capacity the temps are not going above 80C.

Not ideal but this PC is mainly a work desktop so it will do for now.

Did not get any hard evidence but I think there are just no proper drivers / BIOS for this kit on W10 :/

TRENDING THREADS