I7 950 vs i7 2500 vs i5 2500K vs i5 760

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with the Intel® Core™ i7-950 is that it is a 1st generation Intel Core processors on average the 2nd generation Intel Core processor are outperforming them by about 15% at the same clock speed. Also by going with the Intel Core i7-950 you are stuck with the old technology.
So to be clear the only time I would be going with a 1st generation Intel Core processor is if I was doing heavy video/audio work or some other multi-threaded job and I was getting the Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition processor. If I was going to be mainly gaming without question I would go with the Intel Core i5-2500K. Since almost no game takes advantage or more than 3 thread the value for the Intel Core i7 processors isn’t as valuable for gaming.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

sizzling_fates

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011

I dont even know how to overclock! :(

jlavely86

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
also the price difference, i7 970 vs i7 2600K, £120 beetween them. also the 1155 socket still has a lot coming for it, including ivy bridge, unlike X58, which is soon to be replaced with sandy bridge-e, and therefore a dead socket.

Aren't we moving to LGA 2011 for Ivy Bridge? I think the only reason I didn't upgrade to SB is because Intel is blowing through sockets like Nvidia is going through GFX cards right now. I am cool with them making new cores and such, but I don't want to replace motherboards every eleven months.

SandyBridge-E (flagship, replacing X58/socket 1366) will be on the new socket 2011, and a new socket was inevitable if desiring quad channel mem access. (Ivy Bridge will be avail in the current 1155 format....)

Status
Not open for further replies.