[SOLVED] i7 9700 (non-k) not going full speed

stidersan

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 28, 2018
I just recieved a gift brand new i9 9700, and I installed it on my compatible motherboard b360m ds3h
but my problem is that I can't get my CPU to operate at full speed, although it is very cool at maximum load in prime95
around 58-61c at 100%, but the problem is it operates at 3Ghz only on all cores
and in cinebench r15 at operates at around 3.7Ghz on all cores.

Solution
I have updated to the latest bios update for my motherboard, but still same proboem.
I have solved the problem, apparently Gigabyte software called APP or something was limiting the power -_-, so I uninstalled it and used Intel XTU to raise the power to 120 Watts so it won't heat much and also not throttle and I undervolted by 0.130V. Now I'm getting solid 4.4Ghz to 4.5Ghz surprisingly on all cores, and temps are hovering around 74-77ish something like that pretty good for the performance
That's bizzare and frustrating , how can I disable the lock?
Check the power options in windows
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v85131538

For the bios you should show pictures of it so we can figure out where the power options could be, or wait for someone who has the same board but that might not happen.
You could also use intel extreme tuning utility to check on the TDP.
BUT DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING unless you know for sure it won't hurt your system,just use it to check if it shows the TDP your CPU is rated for,should be 65W.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-XTU-Undervolting-Guide.272120.0.html

stidersan

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 28, 2018
Check the power options in windows
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v85131538

For the bios you should show pictures of it so we can figure out where the power options could be, or wait for someone who has the same board but that might not happen.
You could also use intel extreme tuning utility to check on the TDP.
BUT DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING unless you know for sure it won't hurt your system,just use it to check if it shows the TDP your CPU is rated for,should be 65W.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-XTU-Undervolting-Guide.272120.0.html
I'm going to check it out once I return back home, and I'll reply if I find anything.

stidersan

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 28, 2018
The stock clock for a i7-9700 is 3.0 .
When all cores are fully loaded you get 3.7.
I think you are normal there.

The boost clock maxes at 4.7, but that is only for one core when thermal limits permit and the other cores are mostly unused.
I can't get 4.7Ghz on turbo boost, max I get 4.4Ghz
and sometimes when all cores I get 3Ghz max, i think it has to do with power limitations because I see videos show 4.4Ghz on this CPU in all cores

4.7 is the Intel max.
You may have other conditions present which limit you.
One thing to check is your motherboard bios.
See if there are any updates that seem to address your issue.
Do not update the bios on speculation; a failed flash can be nasty to recover from.

stidersan

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 28, 2018
4.7 is the Intel max.
You may have other conditions present which limit you.
One thing to check is your motherboard bios.
See if there are any updates that seem to address your issue.
Do not update the bios on speculation; a failed flash can be nasty to recover from.
I have updated to the latest bios update for my motherboard, but still same proboem.

stidersan

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 28, 2018
I have solved the problem, apparently Gigabyte software called APP or something was limiting the power -_-, so I uninstalled it and used Intel XTU to raise the power to 120 Watts so it won't heat much and also not throttle and I undervolted by 0.130V. Now I'm getting solid 4.4Ghz to 4.5Ghz surprisingly on all cores, and temps are hovering around 74-77ish something like that pretty good for the performance

Last edited:
Solution