[SOLVED] i7 9700 vs i7 9700k

owendeluca68

Commendable
Jan 10, 2019
Pretty much I want to purchase a cpu that will last me a long time, and i was thinking of the i7 9700k, that is 600AUD for me, however I saw that there is also an i7 9700 which is 100 dollars less, so i was wondering what the difference is between them. I was told by a friend that the only difference is that you can overclock the i7 9700k, however im not interested in overclocking anything, so i am here to ask what the difference is and is it worth it

Solution
9700k has faster base clock and faster boost clock. It will outperform the standard 9700 by a good bit. Not huge, but it's a better cpu.

9700 will come with a cooler, 9700k will need a decent aftermarket cooler.
well basically i got an i5 6500 and its pretty bad and outdated, anyway do you know a good motherboard that isnt too expensive for a rtx 2060 and an i7 9700

But i would wait and save up abit more for the new cpu but would also take Phaaze88 advice :)

wL5CCm0.png

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
AMD and Intel both have worked with Microsoft and Linux to prioritize the use of cores marked as best and avoid cores marked as worst.

This allows for easier binning as only a few or even one core per chip have to meet requirements for boost clocks, and the overall performance loss from having poor cores on a CPU are minimized.

Intel isn't implementing their side of it till 10th gen.

AMD started with the 3000 series.

The problem for streaming is Windows treats the CPU not as an 8-core/16-thread CPU but as a 1 to 4-core/16-thread CPU focusing all the work onto marked best cores and avoiding poor and unmarked cores.

Good for Both Intel and AMD as now far more chips validate as higher tier models.

Good for people who don't need cores.

Bad for heavy multi-taskers like streamers unless they move up the lines to higher core counts to offset the lost performance, which is also a win for AMD/Intel since they make more on those models.

This explains why the 2700X can almost equal the 3700X in some heavier core tasks, because it's prior to the preferred core marking system so has full functionality of all cores. In reverse it can also affect the 9700k as its not on a preferred core status, so will use weaker cores with regularity. With preferred cores, the 3700x comes out stronger as it has 2 thread capability per core, so generally having more strong thread count than the 9700k.

But for streaming 1080p/1440p, I'd not use the cpu anyway its already taxed with the game and higher fps needs, better off using NVENC through a good gpu. I'd only use the cpu if streaming 4k video where the gpu is taxed.