[SOLVED] i7 9700f or Ryzen 5 3600 (and change motherboard)

Lokang31

Prominent
May 15, 2019
hello, i need some reccomendation, should i change my processor to i7 9700f (i have coffelake motherboard) or should i prever to change my motherboard to b550 motherboard and considering use a ryzen 5 3600 (or should i wait for the 4000 series)? thanks

Reactions: Gaming7Ray
Solution
For ryzen 5 3600 with b550 is $50~~ more expensive than i7. I'm still using a 2x8GB 2400 MHz

Unless you can sell the RAM and get new faster one then yeah probably a good idea to stick with intel. After all you can always do the i9 9900 move in a few years when you feel the i7 9700F is not enough.

Also the upgrade from the i3 8100 with 4 Cores, 3.6GHz MAX frecuency and 6MB of L3 cache, to the i7 9700F with 8 Cores, Max turbo of 4.7GHz (single core) and ~4.5GHz (all core) and 12MB of L3 cache should be amazing.

Make sure to check the motherboard web page, and see if the BIOS is up to date before you install the i7 9700F.
Jun 13, 2020
hello, i need some reccomendation, should i change my processor to i7 9700f (i have coffelake motherboard) or should i prever to change my motherboard to b550 motherboard and considering use a ryzen 5 3600 (or should i wait for the 4000 series)? thanks
4000 series are for OEM currently.
and what cpu you are currently using on your coffeelake mobo also tell your mobo Model

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
First thing first, you're currently using your PC for what? Editing? Streaming? Gaming? Or what kind of task?

I'm biased but i prefer AMD. One thing to keep in mind, look at the specs on the new consoles and you can get an idea where the market will go as games are ported from console to pc. In short the Intel performs better now, but in a few years the core count and number of threads could be more utilized.

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
I'm biased but i prefer AMD. One thing to keep in mind, look at the specs on the new consoles and you can get an idea where the market will go as games are ported from console to pc. In short the Intel performs better now, but in a few years the core count and number of threads could be more utilized.
But the OP is comparing between the Ryzen 5 3600 vs i7 9700f. So I think the i7 9700f will give better performance for the single-core and has more core than the Ryzen 5 3600. But if the OP can afford Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 9 then it'll be more future-proof than the i7.

Reactions: Lokang31
A better question will be, How much does the i7 9700F cost you? and How much does a new B550 mobo + Ryzen 5 3600 ?

Also what kind of RAM do you have, capacity, and speed?, Is it a 2x8 GB kit? or just 1 single stick?.

Intel 10th gen and Ryzen 3xxx like and need fast speed RAM to get those flashy numbers we see on reviews, so if you only have (for example) 2x8GB DDR 2400 kit, then you would probably be better off keeping your current mobo and swapping the cpu to that core i7. For Ryzen and newers games you wany at least 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz memory kit.

As for Ryzen 4xxx series it seems the second week of october is when AMD will release the technical data, but theres no word yet on when will they be in the market. Coudl be the same day, a few days after it, or who knows. Seems to me AMD is doing really well with Zen 2 and is not in a rush to bring zen 3, after all intel does not have anything new to offer till next year (when I hope they will bring 11th gen with pcie 4.0 support).

Lokang31

Prominent
May 15, 2019
Yeah i'm afraid of the intel futureproofs

Lokang31

Prominent
May 15, 2019
A better question will be, How much does the i7 9700F cost you? and How much does a new B550 mobo + Ryzen 5 3600 ?

Also what kind of RAM do you have, capacity, and speed?, Is it a 2x8 GB kit? or just 1 single stick?.

Intel 10th gen and Ryzen 3xxx like and need fast speed RAM to get those flashy numbers we see on reviews, so if you only have (for example) 2x8GB DDR 2400 kit, then you would probably be better off keeping your current mobo and swapping the cpu to that core i7. For Ryzen and newers games you wany at least 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz memory kit.

As for Ryzen 4xxx series it seems the second week of october is when AMD will release the technical data, but theres no word yet on when will they be in the market. Coudl be the same day, a few days after it, or who knows. Seems to me AMD is doing really well with Zen 2 and is not in a rush to bring zen 3, after all intel does not have anything new to offer till next year (when I hope they will bring 11th gen with pcie 4.0 support).
For ryzen 5 3600 with b550 is $50~~ more expensive than i7. I'm still using a 2x8GB 2400 MHz

Unless you can sell the RAM and get new faster one then yeah probably a good idea to stick with intel. After all you can always do the i9 9900 move in a few years when you feel the i7 9700F is not enough.

Also the upgrade from the i3 8100 with 4 Cores, 3.6GHz MAX frecuency and 6MB of L3 cache, to the i7 9700F with 8 Cores, Max turbo of 4.7GHz (single core) and ~4.5GHz (all core) and 12MB of L3 cache should be amazing.

Make sure to check the motherboard web page, and see if the BIOS is up to date before you install the i7 9700F.

Reactions: Lokang31
Solution

Lokang31

Prominent
May 15, 2019

yeah thanks..

To preface that the last guy said, in gaming, the 9700f is slightly better than ryzen. However, if you intend to keep the setup a few years, get the ryzen. Maybe step up to a 3700x. Here's why.

Next generation consoles, xbox series s and x, as well as ps5 will use AMD 8 core CPUs. Meaning that games will start getting developed for that amount of power at some point. If memory serves, the i7 9700 is 8 cores and no hyperthreading. Which is fine today, but in 2 years, you may be wishing it have hyperthreading. I think the difference in gaming is maybe 5-10%. The higher in resolution you go, you'll probably notice those differences less anyway.

In productivity, the ryzen should beat the i7. So it's really up to you. Just look at the budget. Keep in mind to, if you do a platform switch, your Intel gear is probably worth a decent amount used. So that may absorb some costs if you decide to go AMD, or even a newer Intel platform.

Reactions: Scott_Hearsh