[SOLVED] i7 9700f with 1650 super

Solution
Probably overkill on the CPU, and I wouldn't necessarily choose an F type chip, no onboard graphics. Last thing you need is a broken GPU preventing you from turning in your homework.

Is this a pre-built? If so, post a link and we can give it the once over.

If this your only option it will certainly perform in games as well as could be expected of a 1650 super, the CPU is pretty close to the top.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Probably overkill on the CPU, and I wouldn't necessarily choose an F type chip, no onboard graphics. Last thing you need is a broken GPU preventing you from turning in your homework.

If this your only option it will certainly perform in games as well as could be expected of a 1650 super, the CPU is pretty close to the top.

Solution
For gaming, it would probably be better to shift some of the budget from the CPU to the GPU. Unless you are specifically targeting high-refresh rate gaming for esports titles running at reduced settings, graphics performance will tend to help more than CPU performance in modern games. Cutting back to something like a 6-core, 12-thread i5-10400 or Ryzen 3600 would allow you to move up to a faster card like a 1660 SUPER, or maybe a 5600 XT.

Sep 7, 2020

No this is not a pre-built. Do you think the 8700 would work well?

Be aware that Intel has been increasing core counts lately to stay competitive with AMD. So the current "10th gen" i5s are going to perform very similar to those slightly older i7s. An i5-10400 will perform almost the same as an i7-8700, with the same number of cores and threads, and clock rates that are only 5% lower. If you are building the system using new components, that would likely save you around $100 that could be put toward other hardware. You will need to use a different motherboard for those newest processors though.

Sep 7, 2020
Be aware that Intel has been increasing core counts lately to stay competitive with AMD. So the current "10th gen" i5s are going to perform very similar to those slightly older i7s. An i5-10400 will perform almost the same as an i7-8700, with the same number of cores and threads, and clock rates that are only 5% lower. If you are building the system using new components, that would likely save you around $100 that could be put toward other hardware. You will need to use a different motherboard for those newest processors though.
ohhh thank you. The reason why i wanted to have the i7 9700f was that my friend has the 1650 super and the 9700f and was getting 200+ in games... My budget is high so i might either get the 8700 or the 10400 or the 9700f, which one should i pick though?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS