Question i7 9700k 4.5-4.7 GHZ Safe Voltage to keep PC unharmed?

Dec 3, 2019
I recently built my first computer and was having issues with BSOD's and freezes when my computer woke up from sleep mode. So I turned off the Intel Turbo Boost which keeps my CPU at the base clock speed around 3.6 where it was keeping my CPU at 4.7 GHZ and it now runs without any problems.
However, I would like to have the performance back that I had with the 4.7 GHZ. I feel like a lot of the blue screens and crashes were cause of a lack of power? Even with the voltage for my cpu remaining on auto.
I want to up my voltage a tad bit to maybe 1.2 or 1.3 and clock my CPU at around 4.5 - 4.7 GHZ without enabling the Intel boost or anything. Would this be safe to do? I am running on an msi motherboard so if you have any other suggestions I would be altering them on that UEFI.

Thank you!

I recently built my first computer and was having issues with BSOD's and freezes when my computer woke up from sleep mode. So I turned off the Intel Turbo Boost which keeps my CPU at the base clock speed around 3.6 where it was keeping my CPU at 4.7 GHZ and it now runs without any problems.
However, I would like to have the performance back that I had with the 4.7 GHZ. I feel like a lot of the blue screens and crashes were cause of a lack of power? Even with the voltage for my cpu remaining on auto.
I want to up my voltage a tad bit to maybe 1.2 or 1.3 and clock my CPU at around 4.5 - 4.7 GHZ without enabling the Intel boost or anything. Would this be safe to do? I am running on an msi motherboard so if you have any other suggestions I would be altering them on that UEFI.

Thank you!
to be fair ocing at all or any voltage change from stalk can start to cause issues right away

Reactions: Endre

InvalidError

Titan
Yeah, I can understand that. Do you think my CPU would run fine at 4.5 GHZ without touching the Voltage?
Every CPU, every motherboard and every DIMM is different, your mileage may vary even if you have "exactly the same" everything. The only way to know for certain is to try it for yourself.

If you want a general idea of how likely a given CPU is likely to hit a particular OC within reasonable voltage, you can have a look at OC stats from sites that sell pre-re-binned chips...
https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Intel pretty much guarantees that the cpu will hit turbo boost right speeds out of the box and remain stable. The only absolute guarantee is that the cpu will hit base clocks.

I'd bet money that your bsod/freeze issue when waking from sleep is due entirely to your psu. There's 2 kinds of psu, the older design group regulated and the newer design dc-dc. It's basically analog vrs digital equivalent. Group regulated are very common worldwide, are usually far cheaper than dc-dc. The problem is that those old designs can have severe issues with the ultra low power states possible with Intel cpu's newer than 4th gen Haswell.

There is a fix, sort of. In bios, first reset to factory optimal settings, that's usually F5, save. You'll then need to look for the sleep modes and set that to S3 as the lowest, disabling S4-S6/7. That'll still allow the pc to go into sleep mode, it just won't enable the uber deep modes.

You have a I7-9700k. You seriously do not need to OC, just enable turbo, set XMP for ram and call it a day. If you have the cooling, you could lock all cores at max turbo, but that's about as much as you could ever need.

Dec 3, 2019
I'd try to resolve whatever issue was preventing you from using turbo boost.

Do you have the latest BIOS? What exact make/model of power supply do you have?
Yup, i have the latest BIOS for my MOBO (MSI MPG Z390 Garming Pro Carbon AC 1151)

My power supply is a CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x CP-9020180-NA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

Dec 3, 2019
Intel pretty much guarantees that the cpu will hit turbo boost right speeds out of the box and remain stable. The only absolute guarantee is that the cpu will hit base clocks.

I'd bet money that your bsod/freeze issue when waking from sleep is due entirely to your psu. There's 2 kinds of psu, the older design group regulated and the newer design dc-dc. It's basically analog vrs digital equivalent. Group regulated are very common worldwide, are usually far cheaper than dc-dc. The problem is that those old designs can have severe issues with the ultra low power states possible with Intel cpu's newer than 4th gen Haswell.

There is a fix, sort of. In bios, first reset to factory optimal settings, that's usually F5, save. You'll then need to look for the sleep modes and set that to S3 as the lowest, disabling S4-S6/7. That'll still allow the pc to go into sleep mode, it just won't enable the uber deep modes.

You have a I7-9700k. You seriously do not need to OC, just enable turbo, set XMP for ram and call it a day. If you have the cooling, you could lock all cores at max turbo, but that's about as much as you could ever need.
I will give that a shot and let you know how it goes, so long as I can find it. I have never seen any options for sleep modes in the MSI UEFI that I know of. :)

Dec 3, 2019

Upon doing some searching in my UEFI, the only 3 options I really found that mentioned anything about S3- S5 stated as follows.

Power Management Settings
USB Standby Power at S4/S5 [DISABLED]

Wake Up Event Setup
Resume From S3/S4/S5 by PS/2 Mouse
Resume From S3/S4/S5 by PS/2 Keyboard

Endre

Reputable
Hello!
I have the exact same CPU and PSU that you have: Intel i7-9700K & Corsair RM850x.

I’m on Gigabyte mobo & HyperX Fury memory.

I, never OC’d anything.
I run my PC at default BIOS settings and it hits 4.6GHz-4.9GHz out of the box.

1. Make sure (again) that you’re on the latest BIOS version.
  2. Try replacing the RAM and re-test PC.
  3. It also, could be, a defective PSU, or a badly installed CPU.