[SOLVED] I7 9700k 5.1ghz unstable?

Apr 14, 2020
So I wanted to just easily O/C my CPU.
I7-9700k
strix-z390-e
2x 8GB Corsair vengeance RAM
2080 RTX
650 WATT Power Supply

So I tried to use the AI Overclocking feature in my BIOS. It set the CPU to 5.1 GHZ. Everything booted fine, did a stress test for 2 hours. And it passed, everything was fine. I could play my games and do whatever I wanted to. Then when I got off my PC I put it to sleep, came back the next morning to find it in the Windows Recovery screen. I turned it off and it proceeded to be stuck in a loop. I went back into the BIOS and turned off the AI Overclocking and everything booted just fine. I've uninstalled all BIOS drivers and re-installed them. But I can't seem to get back to 5.1 GHZ. Has anyone else had an issue like this, or knows a way to fix it? I don't need 5.1ghz but if I could push my CPU a little more would be great. I have a hardware monitoring software that shows my temps and nothing is overheating or getting anywhere near "uncomfortable" Thanks in advance!

Solution
So there's a couple things i'd recommend:

1. Set a manual 5.1ghz OC in the BIOS along with a proper adaptive voltage.
  2. You need to run a stress test for at least 4 hours, at the BARE minimum. 8 hours is recommended. This is due to errors that only show up due to long periods of time, and can't be created instantly. Also, I believe 4 hours is needed so most stress testing algorithms can run ALL their workloads. Like with Prime95, it takes a while for it to run thru all the different calculations to make sure the CPU is stable in a variety of computations.

3. Only use Ai Suite to get your max overclock. It works very very well for seeing how high you can push your CPU, but beyond that you want to set everyting manually in...
So there's a couple things i'd recommend:

1. Set a manual 5.1ghz OC in the BIOS along with a proper adaptive voltage.
  2. You need to run a stress test for at least 4 hours, at the BARE minimum. 8 hours is recommended. This is due to errors that only show up due to long periods of time, and can't be created instantly. Also, I believe 4 hours is needed so most stress testing algorithms can run ALL their workloads. Like with Prime95, it takes a while for it to run thru all the different calculations to make sure the CPU is stable in a variety of computations.

3. Only use Ai Suite to get your max overclock. It works very very well for seeing how high you can push your CPU, but beyond that you want to set everyting manually in UEFI BIOS.

Solution

Latest posts