[SOLVED] i7-9700k and a motherboard

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
Hey guys

I found on newegg a sale on the i7 9700k for 220$ and I wanna upgrade from my 2600x.

I have 1070, 750W and 16GB 3200Mhz

I need a good but cheap motherboard to pair my 9700k with, I don't plan on overclocking, I just want my memory to fit and the i7-9700k,
if you guys could send me motherboards from newegg it would be awesome

also what do you think about the upgrade? I plan on gaming and streaming on my GPU on streamlabs OBS
should I get the i9-9990k for more 80$?

Solution
What would be an alternative choice for slightly higher price, in your opinion? With our without black friday deals, I'll look into every possibility.
- For AMD, in the upgrade class you need for streaming, I'd pick the 3700x. You may be able to use the 3700x with your B350. Check the motherboard manufacturer website for CPU support. I'd look it up for you but you didn't list the brand/model. This would be the least expensive upgrade for you if you can use your board and memory.

- Performance difference between the 3700x and 9700k is very small and you get 16 threads with the 3700x vs only 8 threads with the 9700k. With a simple bios update (if needed) you should be able to drop in a 3700x and go. IMO this makes more...
Hey guys

I found on newegg a sale on the i7 9700k for 220$ and I wanna upgrade from my 2600x.

I need a good but cheap motherboard to pair my 9700k with, I don't plan on overclocking, I just want my memory to fit and the i7-9700k,

also what do you think about the upgrade? I plan on gaming and streaming on my GPU on streamlabs OBS
I wouldn't really call the 9700k much of an upgrade. While it does have a higher boost clock, you'll be going from the 2600X 6 cores / 12 threads to 9700k 8 cores / 8 threads. This may actually hurt you a little for streaming. The 9900K would be a much better upgrade but will require a very robust cooler. Have you considered one of the new AMD CPU's or Comet Lake Intel models? It would make more sense to have the newest platform available, but I understand there might be some good deals right now with Black Friday that are hard to pass up.

Hey guys

You have a Ryzen 5 2600X, whats your motherboard brand and model?

You may be able to upgrade to a Zen 2 CPU by updating your BIOS.

Also whats your monitor resolution and refresh rate?

What kind of games do you play?, Can you list a few?

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
You have a Ryzen 5 2600X, whats your motherboard brand and model?

You may be able to upgrade to a Zen 2 CPU by updating your BIOS.

Also whats your monitor resolution and refresh rate?

What kind of games do you play?, Can you list a few?

I play competitive Valorant, 144hz and 1080p. I wanted 5600x but I have B350M, and I'd need a new motherboard and I tend to believe Intel is better for gaming..

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
I wouldn't really call the 9700k much of an upgrade. While it does have a higher boost clock, you'll be going from the 2600X 6 cores / 12 threads to 9700k 8 cores / 8 threads. This may actually hurt you a little for streaming. The 9900K would be a much better upgrade but will require a very robust cooler. Have you considered one of the new AMD CPU's or Comet Lake Intel models? It would make more sense to have the newest platform available, but I understand there might be some good deals right now with Black Friday that are hard to pass up.

I have considered it but I'd need to upgrade my mobo too, so I'd just better of switch to Intel I guess?

I have B350M unfortunately

What do you think I should do? The price is really tempting
I think when it's all said and done it won't be a very big upgrade. Certain games may do better, others about the same. If you want to overclock the 9700k you can't buy a cheap board and you'll need a better cooler than the stock model. Is the 2600X not meeting your expectations or needs?

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
I think when it's all said and done it won't be a very big upgrade. Certain games may do better, others about the same. If you want to overclock the 9700k you can't buy a cheap board and you'll need a better cooler than the stock model. Is the 2600X not meeting your expectations or needs?

Not really, no. I'm a competitive FPS shooter and I want to stream my gameplay by streaming on my 1070, I just need a strong CPU.
What would be a good upgrade from my current 2600x? I just feel like I'm missing out on this deal really

Not really, no. I'm a competitive FPS shooter and I want to stream my gameplay by streaming on my 1070, I just need a strong CPU.
What would be a good upgrade from my current 2600x? I just feel like I'm missing out on this deal really
If the deal is too much to pass up and you think it will make you happy then do what you feel is best. The 9700K does not come with a cooler so factor that in the price and see if you think it's still worth it. With a decent board and cooler you'll be looking at close to $400 and that's if your current memory is compatible. Remember, you're buying in to a 2 year old CPU technology and platform when there are better options available....just not at that price.

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
If the deal is too much to pass up and you think it will make you happy then do what you feel is best. The 9700K does not come with a cooler so factor that in the price and see if you think it's still worth it. With a decent board and cooler you'll be looking at close to $400 and that's if your current memory is compatible. Remember, you're buying in to a 2 year old CPU technology and platform when there are better options available....just not at that price.

What would be an alternative choice for slightly higher price, in your opinion? With our without black friday deals, I'll look into every possibility.

- For AMD, in the upgrade class you need for streaming, I'd pick the 3700x. You may be able to use the 3700x with your B350. Check the motherboard manufacturer website for CPU support. I'd look it up for you but you didn't list the brand/model. This would be the least expensive upgrade for you if you can use your board and memory.

- Performance difference between the 3700x and 9700k is very small and you get 16 threads with the 3700x vs only 8 threads with the 9700k. With a simple bios update (if needed) you should be able to drop in a 3700x and go. IMO this makes more sense than the 9700k and new motherboard. By the time a 3700x becomes irrelevant there'll be new stuff available.

Solution