Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2019
Hello, I recently built my new pc:

CPU: Intel Core i9-9700k
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC GAMING
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-A
RAM:G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4-3000
PSU:Corsair CXM 750 W

I’ve been streaming on twitch, I also would like to note that I OC my cpu to 5.0 GHz, and my 2080 TI. I have been noticing that my cpu has been maxing out at 100% while playing, but my gpu is normally around 40-60%. I was wondering if this was normal. I use the newest NVenc encoder, but even when I’m not streaming, I still have 100% cpu usage in every game. I receive between 120-220 frames when I’m streaming and around 140-220 frames when I’m not streaming. My cpu is between 55-70 Celsius as well so I don’t know what else to try, Please help. FYI, I don’t know all the acronyms of CPU OC, I’m new to OC my cpu.

Cioby

Distinguished
Did you install everything on the page of your motherboard? People forget to install those things always. I mean besides the VGA driver for your CPU, you don't really need that.

Otherwise I have to say, playing on a 2080ti at 1080p will use up your CPU more than your GPU unless you use Vsync and don't have a 240Hz monitor.

If you aren't running 100% load on your CPU all the time or even above 20% while idle, there is nothing wrong with your CPU, you're just demanding it runs at full power at 1080p which puts a huge load on your CPU, rather than at 4k for example.

Reactions: AwAkEn-
Oct 28, 2019
Well 1080p is more CPU intensive and you have a GPU marketed for 4K. Even running 1440p will reduce your CPU usage as your system is overkill for 1080p. Can you post a screen shot of your task mAnager showing 100% usage and what all is running?
I would by I’m currently at work, but when I’m playing, my game is a good 85-95% cpu usage.

Oct 28, 2019
Did you install everything on the page of your motherboard? People forget to install those things always. I mean besides the VGA driver for your CPU, you don't really need that.

Otherwise I have to say, playing on a 2080ti at 1080p will use up your CPU more than your GPU unless you use Vsync and don't have a 240Hz monitor.

If you aren't running 100% load on your CPU all the time or even above 20% while idle, there is nothing wrong with your CPU, you're just demanding it runs at full power at 1080p which puts a huge load on your CPU, rather than at 4k for example.
Anything you can suggest rather then changing the resolution? I’ve heard changing graphic settings could help but I wouldn’t know where to begin.

Cioby

Distinguished
What is the refresh rate of your monitor? Just lock your frames with Vsync or Gsync if you have the option.
Usually helps so you don't waste hardware juice on frames you "don't really get to see". I mean in most games you still see it moving faster and better, more fluid. But you still have a chance to miss some frames and even get screen tearing.

And starting to think most last gen Intel CPUs run at high usage, as I said unless you run more than 1-3% when idle, your CPU should be fine. My 8700k just runs at 50-70% at most and below 65 degrees with a cheap cooler.

But running at low resolutions will always put more pressure on your CPU than higher resolutions. And the only solution is to lock frames as mentioned above. And if you do have a high refresh rate monitor you should play with your settings, see which works best for you. Some games have horrible Gsync or Vsync. Others work perfectly fine.

Oct 28, 2019
What is the refresh rate of your monitor? Just lock your frames with Vsync or Gsync if you have the option.
Usually helps so you don't waste hardware juice on frames you "don't really get to see". I mean in most games you still see it moving faster and better, more fluid. But you still have a chance to miss some frames and even get screen tearing.

And starting to think most last gen Intel CPUs run at high usage, as I said unless you run more than 1-3% when idle, your CPU should be fine. My 8700k just runs at 50-70% at most and below 65 degrees with a cheap cooler.

But running at low resolutions will always put more pressure on your CPU than higher resolutions. And the only solution is to lock frames as mentioned above. And if you do have a high refresh rate monitor you should play with your settings, see which works best for you. Some games have horrible Gsync or Vsync. Others work perfectly fine.
Yeah I’ve got a 144hz Monitor, I’ll look into capping my Frames at about 165 or 180. I don’t know if my monitor supports anything past 1920x1080.

Cioby

Distinguished
You should cap them at 144 with Vsync actually. Or even try Nvidia's Fast Sync in the control panel. To run more than 1080p means you need a HDMI or DP cable also. So even if it was able to run higher, you may need a new cable unless you already use that. Normally if you have the latest display driver installed, your Windows should allow you to set the maximum resolution. So you can check which is your highest.

But even then I do not recommend using higher resolutions unless your monitor is bigger than 24 inch and if you prefer quality over high fps. I mean I still get 200-300 fps in CSGO at 4k maximum settings but not in other demanding games. And you will lose fps in games if you play at higher resolutions.

Me suspect you spend a lot of time worried about CPU-usage/ GPU usage ratios, I take it, regardless of otherwise stellar performance.... :)

Given a powerful GPU, the CPU will give all it can....ergo, the 100% CPU usage...

As for GPU usage,,,,,uou can't expect to see a 2080Ti on 100% at 1080P....ever. (If you want 60-75% usage, go to 1440P/ultra....; you want near 100%, go to 4k/ultra

Last edited:
Reactions: Dragos Manea
Status
Not open for further replies.