Question I7 9700K bottle necking 2070 super?

Apr 5, 2020
Specs:
strix 2070 super
3200mghz 16gb ram
mobo is maximus hero wifi
kraken x63
corsair rmx850

While playing AC origins and even Rainbow Six my cpu is hitting 100% and AC origins stutters. Why am I getting such high CPU usage?

Apr 5, 2020
No im on ultra with a 144hz monitor
on siege im getting 200-350 fps depending on the map and on ac origins 70-130 but it stutters with dips to 40s
This never happened with my 1060 6gb that i had a week ago until i got the 2070 super
is my cpu broken?

No im on ultra with a 144hz monitor
on siege im getting 200-350 fps depending on the map and on ac origins 70-130 but it stutters with dips to 40s
This never happened with my 1060 6gb that i had a week ago until i got the 2070 super
is my cpu broken?

mmm.... The RTX 2070 Super may be blowing more hot air (almost for sure, since is a bigger and powerfull card to the GTx 1060) inside your case, so that the CPU get hotter and throttle down

I don't believe your CPU is broken!, Whats the max temp while gaming ac origins?

About knowing the temp while gaming: there are lots of monitor programs you can use to know this, some have OSD like MSI afterburner; others, like hwmonitor of hwinfo 64, can be runing on the desktop while you are gaming (for at least 20 mins) and they will keep track of the max temp your CPU reached (on the column with the "MAX" (I believe both programs have a button to "clear values" before you go gaming).

Whats your cpu coolers solution?

Apr 5, 2020
My temps are never over 60 i have a kraken x63. I think it could be the extra frames this GPU is spitting out over the 1060 but even that shouldnt cause such high cpu usage and yes i did yse ddu

Reactions: RodroX
R6 does not stutter at all only origins, other games dont stitter either i think its just ubisofts poor optimization
I agree, AC is poorly optimized but still very playable. I play AC Odyssey with 2080Ti avg 67-70fps 4K and it doesn't even feel like 60fps. I used nvidia fast-sync and it improved a little.

Just to be sure, check if you have background apps using the CPU and do a virus+spyware scan using BitDefender free and Malewarebytes free.

Apr 5, 2020
Why would i try vsync for ac o if im not getting 144 fps. And ill use thise two to scan my pc. I still dont get why its doing that to my 9700k. Is my cpu bad or is it just the game?

Why would i try vsync for ac o if im not getting 144 fps. And ill use thise two to scan my pc. I still dont get why its doing that to my 9700k. Is my cpu bad or is it just the game?

You shoudl try vsync ON for AC Origins as Phaaze88 wrote. If you wana know the reason is quite simple, having vsync ON should limit the amount of work the RTX 2070 super will put over the CPU.
It doesn't matter if your not getting to the 144 FPS, you wrote "...70-130..." so capping the game at 60FPS with vsync is what you should really try.

If vsync ON means -> no stutter -> then that may lead to a posible conclusion.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So much what RodroX said.
With no kind of limit in place, the gpu is allowed to run all willy-nilly, churning out as many frames as it wants, but that's only if the cpu can keep feeding it.
The cpu will have an easier time feeding the gpu a set cap of 100 frames per second instead of 240/unlimited.

Some people tend to not care for V-sync too much because they like to see unrealistic fps numbers - if their systems are even capable of it - but all it does is make the cpu work harder for no real reason.
"Yeah~ boi! I get 500fps in CSGO and 1000fps in Minecraft, but I have a 144hz monitor! Get on mah level!1!" Or some nonsense like that...

Apr 5, 2020
I will try that. But i guess my question is do i need a new cpu or is that normal. Am i getting such high cpu usage on r6 because of the high frames? Afterburner shows my gpu around 85% for ultra 1080p on siege, i guess maybe its just a walk in the park for the 2070 super

I will try that. But i guess my question is do i need a new cpu or is that normal. Am i getting such high cpu usage on r6 because of the high frames? Afterburner shows my gpu around 85% for ultra 1080p on siege, i guess maybe its just a walk in the park for the 2070 super

85% GPU usage with vsync off, that means even at that very high level of detail (Ultra) your GPU still have more power to spare. So is very posible that your CPU will be pegged at 100% all the time.

As Phaaze88 explained whenyou get this kind of issues with a powerfull GPU like yours, a 144Hz display, and with this type of sport titles (R6), is not a bad idea to cap the refresh rate at a lower number, maybe try 120Hz, 100Hz, and so on. You may find the game runs more smootly.

Hence the advice to turn vsync ON and try it out for AC:O

Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for all the advice. But have any of expeeienced this? I still dont understabd the root cause of this. I tried to run r6 at 4k today and that finally mad gpu usage higher an relieved the stress on my CPU. But i still feel that even with the high frames a 9700k shouldnt choke like that. I also could not find a free bitdefender.

Apr 5, 2020
Ok the problem has gotten worse, everything is causing 100% usage except chrome. Malwarebytes found nothing but even while running that i was at 96-100% cpu usage. I just did a fresh OS install like 2 days ago. What the hell is wrong with my pc?

Thank you for all the advice. But have any of expeeienced this? I still dont understabd the root cause of this. I tried to run r6 at 4k today and that finally mad gpu usage higher an relieved the stress on my CPU. But i still feel that even with the high frames a 9700k shouldnt choke like that. I also could not find a free bitdefender.
https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html