[SOLVED] i7 9700K Cooler

JB2501

Prominent
May 4, 2017
Hi I'm about to purchase an i7 9700k within the next few weeks along with a gigabyte z390 gaming x motherboard. I was wondering what cpu cooler to get, I have a hyper 212 evo but I don't think that's enough if I'll be overclocking the cpu. Thanks :)

I forgot to mention that I don't want to spend more than £40 on a cooler :)

Solution
I put together a system based on the 9900K in an ASUS board. I combined the Noctua 15S with the Thermaltake Core V 71, a very functional and beefy case, full size, with two front and two top intake fans and one rear exhaust. The thing about the ASUS Z390 board is that it runs all cores at 5 GHz turbo ( MCE) at idle so cooling is crucial.The HWMonitor " value" for each core at idle is ~ 28C .

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
The i7-9700k runs at really high turbo clocks out of the box (as you're probably aware). I'd keep the Hyper 212 Evo but undervolt the CPU a little. Since your budget is limited, the gains by ''upgrading'' won't really be that significant.

I agree with RCFProd, 40 pounds isn't very much for a cooler for an i7-9700K. Most upgrades from the Hyper 212 cost at least 45 pounds. Even then it's only a slight upgrade. I'd save some money for a better cooler. Once you're able to spend 65 pounds or more come back and ask the same question again.

Dec 24, 2018
I'm running an i7-9700K on an MSI z390m microATX motherboard and I'm using the Corsair H100i Platinum 240MM cooler mounted in the ceiling of the Corsair 280x case. Works just fine with the standard "Enhanced Boost" enabled in the BiOS.

However, I'm also running two intake fans in front and two in the floor, pulling in fresh air straight into the GPU. Insufficient airflow will heatsoak a cooler, so run tons of fans.

JB2501

Prominent
May 4, 2017
I was lo
I agree with RCFProd, 40 pounds isn't very much for a cooler for an i7-9700K. Most upgrades from the Hyper 212 cost at least 45 pounds. Even then it's only a slight upgrade. I'd save some money for a better cooler. Once you're able to spend 65 pounds or more come back and ask the same question again.
I was looking at some coolers on amazon and I’ve read a lot of good things about a Noctua NH-D15 / NH-D15S but it’s £70 - £80

JB2501

Prominent
May 4, 2017
I don't own or haven't tested the i7-9700k. I've read that it definitely has room for an undervolt, though. You could try lowering the voltages bit by bit and then test it by doing benchmarks to find the limit. Otherwise you'd probably have to Google certain values that other users found to work out well.
Okay :)

I put together a system based on the 9900K in an ASUS board. I combined the Noctua 15S with the Thermaltake Core V 71, a very functional and beefy case, full size, with two front and two top intake fans and one rear exhaust. The thing about the ASUS Z390 board is that it runs all cores at 5 GHz turbo ( MCE) at idle so cooling is crucial.The HWMonitor " value" for each core at idle is ~ 28C .

Solution