[SOLVED] I7 9700K CPU overheating

Feb 17, 2021
So got a good one for you guys. I have a prebuilt PC from iBuyPower. Processor is as mentioned above. 16gb ram. AIO cooling with dual fans. Gpu is rtx2070. My gpu is fine and is not working hard. I bought Hydronaught Thermal Paste and changed it from the Tuniq 2 they had on it. I even disassembled the AIO and thoroughly cleaned all of the pump pieces and refilled it with distilled. I made sure the thermal paste application was proper size. I've changed a million heatsinks and CPUs. Nothing is overclocked. MB reads 1.048 voltage for CPU. Ran hot one day and it has just been slowly but steadily declining. All temps are bios and NZXT CAM. Starts at 35 in bios and will steadily climb without ever stabilizing. The temp issue started before I messed with anything and I'm stumped. Any advice?

Solution
I got a couple of questions that would help me and others better help you.

What AIO is it? If not sure is it a 120mm 240mm 360mm.

How hot are you seeing the temps?

I expect to see around 70+ to 80c on a 9700k on a 120mm AIO, the 9700k is kind of warm and really a 120mm aio is not quite enough but do able and dual fans it wont help a whole lot.

Also you could have an air bubble in the loop, air is really hard to force out of them AIO's from the videos I've seen, I suggest holding the rad above the CPU making sure all the water goes tot he block and see what the temps do.
Also make sure the pump is getting power, I don't like having the motherboard control the pump speed, sometimes the boards are kinda dumb and lowers the headers...
Feb 17, 2021
I've not heard of anyone successfully repair an AIO and replacing the coolant with just distilled water.
Without a bacterial biocide the Distilled water would contaminate quickly and the unit would quickly fail. They very often use propylene glycol as a biocide.
It's a premixed mixture with propylene glycol. When I was typing the question it cut it off. Apologies. It says on the bottle distilled water and propylene glycol.

Feb 17, 2021
In that case yes I've heard and seen a vid repairing one. You have to be very careful there are no leaks otherwise you would have wished you had replaced the unit.:(
Absolutely. I've "repaired" quite a few and it's usual protocol to pressure test it before remounting. And if need be, use some PC safe sealant to fix a hose. I've seen some units with cracks in the radiator. Unfortunately there isn't much to fix with that other than replace it.

Feb 17, 2021
Slight update. I reseated the CPU and remounted the cooler this morning. She behaved for a solid hour. I started adding load for testing and the temp spiked. Now I'm back to square one. It is still going insane on temp with a 70 average at idle past bios. Nothing running but windows. I have noted that when the CPU was calm in temp, the hoses on my cooler heated up as for the usual. Now for some reason they are cool whilst my temps are rising. I'm gonna go with a pump failure or clog. I've ordered a simple compatible fan heatsink combo that can handle the CPU. I will happily take any other advice to look into. I have made sure the IHS is fine. Voltage hasn't changed. Everything is clean and properly applied.

I got a couple of questions that would help me and others better help you.

What AIO is it? If not sure is it a 120mm 240mm 360mm.

How hot are you seeing the temps?

I expect to see around 70+ to 80c on a 9700k on a 120mm AIO, the 9700k is kind of warm and really a 120mm aio is not quite enough but do able and dual fans it wont help a whole lot.

Also you could have an air bubble in the loop, air is really hard to force out of them AIO's from the videos I've seen, I suggest holding the rad above the CPU making sure all the water goes tot he block and see what the temps do.
Also make sure the pump is getting power, I don't like having the motherboard control the pump speed, sometimes the boards are kinda dumb and lowers the headers speed so much that the pump doesn't even turn.

Solution