saltySquash

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
Earlier today i followed a guide trying to hit 5.0 ghz with the vcore set to 1.30. I BSOD'ed when trying to load into a game from the menu in BFV, so i restarted and tried 1.35 instead. I loaded in to the game and everything seemed perfect, but when i checked the temps they were really high.
So i reset everything to default in the bios but the temps are still getting very high like 95c on some of the cores like shown in the picture while in-game.

The screenshots are taken in HWmonitor while idling on the desktop with almost no applications open. (after playing bfv for 30 minutes) On stock clocks.

Z390 Aorus Pro Motherboard + VCORE https://gyazo.com/b763edfaeba05424f57ae11aaf11981e

9700K CPU Temps https://gyazo.com/ecac6de738b70df6d71bb493deb3508b

Specs:
Z390 Aorus Pro
RTX 2080 Zotac
Corsair RM750x
i7 9700k
16 gb vengeance 3200mhz (xmp on)
cpu cooler: NH D15

Last edited:

saltySquash

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
Is that with all cores at 5 GHz? Might be too much for the NH-D15; no matter how much I like the NH-D15 you are cooling the equivalent of TWO each 7700K CPUs....

Drop your all-core turbo max to something more reasonable (you can experiment in 100 MHz lower increments), taking the massive hit of perhaps 1frame/sec in your gaming (quite a 'hit'!) and maybe a lower core voltage by .05V , and see fi that works....

Not every CPU hits 5 GHz all-core and runs at 72C under load...

saltySquash

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
The cooler should be fine for that.

I believe airflow is the issue.

The cooler should be remounted so it can breathe more.
But isn't it odd that it still gets that hot, considering that i removed the panel and it is on stock clock settings? I mean after i removed the panel there should be more than enough airflow.

Last edited:

saltySquash

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
I rotated it 90 degrees, and it actually helped a little bit. Now i only hit 74 degrees celsius with turbo on. I still think it should be lower though. One of the cores is always getting hotter than the rest. I'm not sure if i can optimize something in bios?

Last edited:

saltySquash

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
I tried 5 GHz with 1.315v and hit 78c in BFV. One of my games crashed, and my pc froze so i had to restart it when exiting BFV. Before i started playing anything I ran OCCT with no errors and with a temp below 77c max. I'm not sure but i think the FPS was decreased a little bit ingame when having my cpu set to 5ghz.

1. This is what you call an unstable oc right?
  2. Is 78c a lot in BFV for a NH D15 on 5ghz?
  3. What should i change in my current bios setup to get a stable oc?

One question, You do have, atleast, one fan bringing fresh air in on the front of the case, and another one on the back taking the hot air out, right ?

If answer is no, then you should really add some intake and exhaust fans!

After all youre oc one of the hottest Intels mainstream CPUs and you also own one of the best (but also hottest) GPUs out there too!!!

I tried 5 GHz with 1.315v and hit 78c in BFV. One of my games crashed, and my pc froze so i had to restart it when exiting BFV. Before i started playing anything I ran OCCT with no errors and with a temp below 77c max. I'm not sure but i think the FPS was decreased a little bit ingame when having my cpu set to 5ghz.

1. This is what you call an unstable oc right?
  2. Is 78c a lot in BFV for a NH D15 on 5ghz?
  3. What should i change in my current bios setup to get a stable oc?

Those temps are fine for that cooler and those clocks. At stock most people were idling around 40c and hitting load temps of 75c in gaming.

The only thing better would be a high end AiO cooler or custom water loop.

saltySquash

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
One question, You do have, atleast, one fan bringing fresh air in on the front of the case, and another one on the back taking the hot air out, right ?

If answer is no, then you should really add some intake and exhaust fans!

After all youre oc one of the hottest Intels mainstream CPUs and you also own one of the best (but also hottest) GPUs out there too!!!
I have one in the back and one in the front.