Question i7-9700K future proof?

Feb 24, 2019
Hello everyone,

Is the i7-9700K (8 cores, 8 threads) going to last long? I have a rtx 2070 right now but I am going to buy a new gpu in the future when there is gonna be a huge increase in performance. I bought the 2070 but came to the conclusion my cpu was bottleneking so I had to buy a new one (I bought 9700K). But if I upgrade my card again, I dont wanna upgrade my cpu again. So how long do u think the 9700K is gonna last? for gaming mainly. I think 8 cores will be enough for a long time.

Ty!

Today, the 9700K is as good as it gets for gaming.
The 9900K has similar clock rates, but more threads, going from 8 to 16.
If you will also be multitasking while gaming, that might be more "future proof".
But today, few games can make effective use of more than 4 threads so 8 looks to be sufficient for some time to come.
Remember that game developers want the maximum audience for their games.
If they require more than 8 cores to run properly, they will not sell many.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
If you just game then you will be fine for a long time. We are in funny times with cpu's. Every couple of months a newer, faster, "better" cpu is released to tantalize you with. Last year 8700k was king of the gaming hill, and still a gaming monster. But now we have the 9th generation so we have to buy these right? Uh no. For gaming 8700k and up is overkill. All the other multi core multi threaded monsters are for people that actually do work on their computer. So here is another caveat, AMD is releasing their Ryzen 3rd generation supposedly in July. Their top cpu is supposed to be equal to or better than Intel 9900k at the price of only $500. I think the plan was to submarine the price of the 9900k when it was selling for $800-$950. SO short answer is you will be fine for a long time. I am just not a fan of 9700k because it doesn't have hyper threading. But that is just a personal choice.