[SOLVED] i7 9700k, i9 9900k, rtx 2070, 2080, 2080Ti

mattrumsby

Reputable
Aug 17, 2017
I'm building a new PC and want it to be fairly future proof so am going for the best parts possible but there is a limit to what I can spend. I can manage an i7 9700K with the 2080Ti but I would have to spend less on every other part of the PC. Or I could get the 2080 or 2070 and spend the difference on better parts including more ram, an i9 9900K an nvme ssd etc.

I'm just not sure weather an i9 or 2080Ti would be worth the upgrade over the other possible upgrades as it can affect the rest of the use case of the PC.

I only have a 1080p monitor so GPU performance wont be an issue but its 240Hz so I like high fps but resolution upgrades may come in the future which is why I want the PC to be as future proof as possible.

Solution
Good PSU is non-negotiable
Super fast storage is nice, but you'll manage, there are 1Tb class NVME (intel 660p), for around $100, that's twice the speed of the best sata III drives which we've all been reasonably happy with for a long time. Get some spinning storage for backups and bulk storage and you'll be fine.
A decent case with good cooling is useful for the noise benefits.
But the 'best' of everything else will deliver little that is tangible, RAM and mobo's will all perform the same.
GPU's are easy to replace and the socket will never go out of fashion, so the best CPU is usually the better choice, 9900k and 2080 will see you good and upgrade the GPU later if needed, you don't want to have to upgrade the CPU.
But why RTX...
Super fast storage is nice, but you'll manage, there are 1Tb class NVME (intel 660p), for around $100, that's twice the speed of the best sata III drives which we've all been reasonably happy with for a long time. Get some spinning storage for backups and bulk storage and you'll be fine.
But the 'best' of everything else will deliver little that is tangible, RAM and mobo's will all perform the same.
GPU's are easy to replace and the socket will never go out of fashion, so the best CPU is usually the better choice, 9900k and 2080 will see you good and upgrade the GPU later if needed, you don't want to have to upgrade the CPU.
But why RTX? (there is limited other choice) but you'll never hit 240fps with rtx on... the next generation maybe, but not this one, So get a cheap 1080ti, and be prepared to upgrade in 2 years with the money you've saved.

Solution

mattrumsby

Reputable
Aug 17, 2017
But why RTX? (there is limited other choice) but you'll never hit 240fps with rtx on... the next generation maybe, but not this one, So get a cheap 1080ti, and be prepared to upgrade in 2 years with the money you've saved.

Thanks for your fast responce,

I will only have rtx enabled on casual single player games where the looks are the best parts and wont need to be 240fps while multiplayer games where fps has an impact will likely lead to disabling rtx. I do play both so having rtx is a plus and 1080Ti s (new or refurbished) don't cost that much less than a 2080 at least where I am looking so there isn't too much of a reason to go for one. I hope to not have to upgrade this PC for 3+ years hence why I want the best I can now so I can use it untill the hardware is semi outdated then start on a new PC with the same goal or just heavily revamp this system.

I do think the i9 over the i7 is the best choice as the difference would have been spent on an extra 16Gb of RAM which is not needed plus the 2080 allows me to get all the parts i need at a good standard meaning I wont have to upgrade anything untill the cpu/gpu is too slow for the current games of the time plus its fast enough to run anything I throw at it as of now.

TRENDING THREADS