Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2020
Hello. I Built myself a new computer last month. Here are the specs:

CPU: i7 9700k -
GPU : ASUS ROG strix 2070 RTX SUPER
RAM: 3200 mhz Corsair Vengenace 2x16 GB
SSD: Crucial P.1 (1TB)
Cooler: Corsair h115i platinum ( 280MM )
PSU: Corsair rm750x
motherboard: MPG z390 gaming pro carbon
4x fans for airflow
case: rosewill Prism S

The crashes USUALLY happen when gaming ( it did happen once when i was just browsing the web) . The crashes are Hard freezes, as in mouse/keyboard stay frozen, sound stops or makes weird loop noise.
I have to hold down the power button and restart it that way.

temps are ALWAYS Fine, i monitor them 24/7 . ( Idle 32-36, gaming 50-60)
GPU temps never go over 55 either
My problem started as soon as i began gaming with the rig. The problem is very hard to pinpoint, because i can go a week+ without any crashes, or it can happen twice in a day.

Event viewer only reports the kernel 41 ( Bad shutoff procedure)

At first i thought it was the RAM because of the Hard freezes, so i ran memtest86 multiple passes which all succeeded. i still thought it was the RAM, so I RMA'ed it and got a new pair, freezes still happening.

Than i Thought it was the PSU ( i had a 650W EVGA before) So i changed it for the Corsair RM750x, but the crashes are still happening.

After that I disabled XMP, disable intel Turbo boost and ran fine for 2 weeks + ( no crashes)

So after 2 weeks of no crash I decided to enable XMP + turbo boost back, and I crashed eventually. ( maybe 3-4 days)

So after that I disabled XMP, but left Turbo-boost ON . I just crashed 2 days ago on those settings. ( that was my last crash)

Right now I'm running Turbo Boost OFF, but i manually overclocked my CPU @ 4.7 GHZ . havent crashed yet, but its been only 2 days and sometimes can take a week + to crash.

At this point im pretty sure its not the RAM or the PSU. Leaning towards CPU, GPU or SSD...

I was wondering if anyone was experiencing any of these issues,

Cheers.

May 21, 2020
Do you have the 8 + 4 pin plugged in for the CPU?
Yes, actually that is one of the reasons i decided to upgrade the PSU, since the EVGA 650W only came with one 8-pin CPU connector. I thought the extra 4 pins missing might be causing some issues,

So I upgraded to RM750x and now both CPU pins are connected ( 8 + 4)

May 21, 2020
Someone suggested i tried disabling C-states & Speed step for my processor in BIOS.

So right now I'm back to stock clock @ 3.6 GHZ, turbo boost enabled,

but C-states disabled and Speed step disabled.

May 21, 2020
And does this suggestion seems to work ?

Problem with my issue is that it's really hard to test it out, since the crashes are so infrequent. I didnt crash with these settings today, but that dosn't exactly mean my problem is fixed.

I also just found another thread where someone had the same motherboard/CPU as me, and very similar issue ( inconsistent crashes) . turns out the "Auto" settings for the CPU voltage was his issue, and setting it manually to 1.32v fixed his crashes.

So I think i will test out those settings, since the issue seems very similar to mine with very similar hardware.

I will update the thread , just keep in mind in might takes weeks before i crash again :p

Reactions: PrideBalmung
Status
Not open for further replies.