[SOLVED] i7 9700k OC

xyloosepwr

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
My CPU is overclocked to 4.9 and i set voltage manually to 1.296V. Games don't crash, but in some titles i have alot of stutters after 2-3 hours of playing. CPU temp while playing very cpu demand games is 69-77 degrees . Should i increase voltage and lower clock? Before my cpu was overclocked automatically with Asus OC Tuner II at 5.0 with much higher voltage 1.41 and my system start crashing while playing games like Apex Legends and PUBG so i decided to lower clock a bit and i set my voltage manually to lower values. System after that never crashed again but i am still suspicious about my overclock especially because i get those stutters after few hours of playing games what i mentioned above. Also i tried twice Intelburntest (10 min test) and both times test passed without thermal throttling with 91 degree max on some cores. GPU temp is 79 degrees most of the time.

My specs are:
i7 9700k
Cooler: be quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Asus Prime z390-p
Zotac Nvidia RTX 2070 Mini
2 x 8 gb DDR4 3200 mhz
1 x m2 SSD
1 x SATA SSD
1 x SATA HDD
144 Hz Monitor
Case: CoolerMaster Masterbox 5 MSI Edition (1 cooler on front panel, 1 cooler on back)...today i am gonna mount 3 new coolers on front panel (Deepcool RF120 3in1)

Edit: Fresh Windows is installed week ago with latest nvidia drivers. Dynamictick is disabled. Windows Power Options: High Performance

Nvidia settings: Low latency mode: Ultra, Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance, Preffered refresh rate: highest available, Vsync: Off, Scaling mode: No scaling

Last edited:
Solution
Run HWmonitor.
Look to see if the max cpu temperature is 100c which would indicate that you have occasional throttling.

Your idle temperature seems possibly a bit high.
It should be around 10-15c. over ambient.
I think you will do better with the two additional intakes.
The cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let it do it's job.
As a temporary measure, take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
see if that helps.

If you have not yet done so implement a avx offset of 2 so that your multiplier is reduced when those nasty instructions are present.
As to stress tests, that is what they do.
Some are built to generate heat, some use avx, some use floating point, but none of them are testing what YOU are doing...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Sounds like you're borderline stable, to me. Not to the point of crashing, but some stuttering at times could be indicative.

BurnTest etc, especially for ~10minutes does not confirm 100% stability, nor does A game, or a handful of games. Different applications/games etc will hit the CPU differently, and you may find you're perfectly stable in one game, borderline in another & get immediate crashes in another.

If I were you, I'd suggest a long test (overnight, ideally) of something like Prime95* or Aida64* and preferrably paired with a looping Unigine Heaven or similar.

*Those, in newer itterations hit AVX very hard, and will produce unrealistic temperatures for the 'real world', but will really test true stability.

Reactions: xyloosepwr

xyloosepwr

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
Sounds like you're borderline stable, to me. Not to the point of crashing, but some stuttering at times could be indicative.

BurnTest etc, especially for ~10minutes does not confirm 100% stability, nor does A game, or a handful of games. Different applications/games etc will hit the CPU differently, and you may find you're perfectly stable in one game, borderline in another & get immediate crashes in another.

If I were you, I'd suggest a long test (overnight, ideally) of something like Prime95* or Aida64* and preferrably paired with a looping Unigine Heaven or similar.

*Those, in newer itterations hit AVX very hard, and will produce unrealistic temperatures for the 'real world', but will really test true stability.
I tried Prime95 before and i quit because some cores hit 96 degress if is cpu overclocked, even on stock settings cpu temps are too high 80-90 degress. Today i mounted 3 new coolers on front panel and cpu temp in games are a bit lower. Highest temp is -2 degress. Average -5 degress and also i dropped oc to 48x. I know this mainboard is not so good for this cpu, but cpu cooler is one of the best air coolers as i know. Still don't get it why my cpu heat so much. I am gonna try mount CPU cooler once again, its nightmare mounting this cooler but that is only thing left to check.

Edit: Idle temp is 38-41 degress. (OC)

Run HWmonitor.
Look to see if the max cpu temperature is 100c which would indicate that you have occasional throttling.

As a temporary measure, take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
see if that helps.

If you have not yet done so implement a avx offset of 2 so that your multiplier is reduced when those nasty instructions are present.
Some are built to generate heat, some use avx, some use floating point, but none of them are testing what YOU are doing.
When you remount the cooler, pay attention to tightening it down a bit at a time, evenly.
Do not use too much paste, a rice sized drop in the center will spread out under heat and pressure.

Sometimes bios updates will address system stability.
Look to see if there is such an update available for your motherboard.

Solution

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
I have a similar build, using the exact same cooler albeit with a cheaper mobo. However my temps were arround the same, didn't see stutter. Personally I found that running in the 70s in games wasn't worth it. I personally felt comfortable in the stress tests pushing 80 max. I ended up lowering my overclock to 4.7. even under heavy load id see it stay in the 70s and that's personally where I felt comfortable. Pushing anything above pushed my voltage into the 1.30s or above. 5.0 ghz pushed voltage into the 1.45 and I easily saw temperatures hit 96.
I even saw during file download peaks into the 70s!

I won't dare try to tell how how to do your overclocks. But I will say for gaming 5 GHZ isn't necessary. Especially with that CPU, any GPU you pair will be fine. I've been happy with my 4.7 all games except Star Citizen seem near flawless. I'd suggest you do the same especially if your like me and don't want to push to liquid cooling

xyloosepwr

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
Run HWmonitor.

see if that helps.

Some are built to generate heat, some use avx, some use floating point, but none of them are testing what YOU are doing.
When you remount the cooler, pay attention to tightening it down a bit at a time, evenly.
Do not use too much paste, a rice sized drop in the center will spread out under heat and pressure.

Sometimes bios updates will address system stability.
Look to see if there is such an update available for your motherboard.
I tried few short tests today with IntelBurntest, Prime95 and Realbench.

IntelBurntest: Stress Level: Standard, max core temp was 91 degress. Completed without thermal throttling
IntelBurntest: Stress Level: High, max core temp was 98 degress. Test completed but with thermal throttling on 2 cores. Later i set AVX Offset to 2 (before was 0) and tried IntelBurntest on high stress mode again and test was completed without thermal throttling with max cpu core temp 94 degress.

With prime95 (small fft, avx 2). core temp rise too high very quickly to 98 degrees and i decided to cancel test.

Realbench: 15 min test (avx 2), up to 8gb ram (for some reason app crash if i choose 16gb ram), max core temp 92, average 84.

I have to check BIOS version later and remount cpu cooler.

With AVX offset 2 i recognize that idle cpu temp is a bit higher 41-43 degrees. With AVX offset 0, idle temp was 39-41.

xyloosepwr

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
I have a similar build, using the exact same cooler albeit with a cheaper mobo. However my temps were arround the same, didn't see stutter. Personally I found that running in the 70s in games wasn't worth it. I personally felt comfortable in the stress tests pushing 80 max. I ended up lowering my overclock to 4.7. even under heavy load id see it stay in the 70s and that's personally where I felt comfortable. Pushing anything above pushed my voltage into the 1.30s or above. 5.0 ghz pushed voltage into the 1.45 and I easily saw temperatures hit 96.
I even saw during file download peaks into the 70s!

I won't dare try to tell how how to do your overclocks. But I will say for gaming 5 GHZ isn't necessary. Especially with that CPU, any GPU you pair will be fine. I've been happy with my 4.7 all games except Star Citizen seem near flawless. I'd suggest you do the same especially if your like me and don't want to push to liquid cooling
I found what was problem with my cpu. Middle fan on cpu cooler was mounted in wrong direction (opposite side from the front fan), also guy who sell me this PC applied too much thermal paste. I don't know what exactly caused high temps even on stock speed, but somehow i believe it was because of the middle fan on cpu cooler.
Temps are now totally fine with 48x oc multiplier (1.296V). Tried multiple cpu stress test and didn't saw temps higher than 86 degrees. Idle temps are 32-36. While playing cpu intensive games, only in FarCry5 temp goes up to 65 degrees. In other games max 61.