[SOLVED] I7-9700K or I9-9900k

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apollouno288

Commendable
Jan 27, 2018
Hello everyone, so I have an Asrock B365M PRO 4, I know by their website it supports the I9-9900K. But im afraid of cpu throttling. Should i go for an I7-9700K or no?

Solution
B365Mpro4 max supported speed is 2666. Unlike ryzen, Intel does not depend on ram speed for performance anyway.
Save your money.
You would want a Z based motherboard to allow ram overclocking.
Ram speeds past 2666 are achieved by overclocking better binned chips.
I might think 3600 speed and even that would not be a big deal.
Here is an older link on ddr4 ram speed scaling:

If your apps can use ram as workfile space, then there is a big advantage to more ram vs. faster ram.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey guys i bought the 9900k and out of the box, yes, it will he up to around 95 degrees Celsius. But! That is only when i reaches its boost clock speed. SO! I kept it at 4.0 Ghz and the temps now stay around 67 degrees Celsius even when stress tested! hope that info suits everyone if you have any questions feel free to ask and/ or reply.
So you bought a CPU and had to gimp it to use it? that is like buying a high end car and never shifting out of 3rd gear.

The board already has a rather poor power phase not really made for that processor and the cooler is not enough either. Even the NH site says to disable turbo using that cooler with that processor.

Last edited: