apollouno288

Commendable
Jan 27, 2018
Hello everyone, so I have an Asrock B365M PRO 4, I know by their website it supports the I9-9900K. But im afraid of cpu throttling. Should i go for an I7-9700K or no?

Solution
B365Mpro4 max supported speed is 2666. Unlike ryzen, Intel does not depend on ram speed for performance anyway.
Save your money.
You would want a Z based motherboard to allow ram overclocking.
Ram speeds past 2666 are achieved by overclocking better binned chips.
I might think 3600 speed and even that would not be a big deal.
Here is an older link on ddr4 ram speed scaling:

If your apps can use ram as workfile space, then there is a big advantage to more ram vs. faster ram.

apollouno288

Commendable
Jan 27, 2018
There are no less that two videos by what I would consider reputable reviewers that show this WILL throttle on that board and also have dangerous VRM temps with 9900K.
I believe ive seen those reviewers and if im not mistaken they also overclocked. which brings me to my other thing, i will not be overclocking this cpu will that make a difference?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I believe ive seen those reviewers and if im not mistaken they also overclocked. which brings me to my other thing, i will not be overclocking this cpu will that make a difference?

I don't recall an OC. My personal thoughts are I would not do a 9900K on that mobo. Additionally it may require a BIOS update to even work with it, would be sure to check. In the case that you decide to do so I would certainly do a downdraft fan and or an additional fan blowing onto the VRM and RAM areas of the board.

Let us know if it works out.

apollouno288

Commendable
Jan 27, 2018
I don't recall an OC. My personal thoughts are I would not do a 9900K on that mobo. Additionally it may require a BIOS update to even work with it, would be sure to check. In the case that you decide to do so I would certainly do a downdraft fan and or an additional fan blowing onto the VRM and RAM areas of the board.

Let us know if it works out.
ill keep this updated and I have about 5 fans in my system and by downdraft would a Noctua NH-L9i work well? Also, I do have a fan for my ram sticks that goes on top of them? If this doesn't work I will just have to OPT for a z370 board

CPU throttling happens when the cpu temperature reaches 100c.
I doubt you will have a problem.

True, the 9900K is a hot processor, but with a B365 motherboard, you are not be overclocking.
You will be running at only stock voltages and not generating heat from overclocking.

That said, as good as the noctua NH-L91 is, you may need a stronger cooler.
Downdraft coolers are not particularly effective.
Ram fans are mostly for looks, only if you are a record seeking ram overclocker would ram cooling be an issue.

What is the make/model of your case?
What is the intake fan arrangement?
Do you have a hot graphics card that also needs cooling?
I would use a good tower type cooler assuming one can fit.

But, if you now own the NH-U91, I see no danger in trying it out.
Unless you run a stress test, I think you are unlikely to throttle.
If you do not have the NH-L91, I would buy a stronger cooler up front. NH-D15s would be plenty good if your case is decent.
HWmonitor will record the current, minimum and maximum cpu temperatures.
If you see a max 100c, then you will have throttled.

Last edited:

True, the 9900K is a hot processor, but with a B365 motherboard, you are not be overclocking.
You will be running at only stock voltages and not generating heat from overclocking.

Ram fans are mostly for looks, only if you are a record seeking ram overclocker would ram cooling be an issue.

If you do not have the NH-L91, I would buy a stronger cooler up front. NH-D15s would be plenty good if your case is decent.
For the most part, I agree with this. However, I've also heard the i9-9900k is power hungry beyond it's '95 W' TDP, and a motherboard with questionable VRM may not be able to provide the CPU with what it needs when under a bit of stress, like gaming? Please let me know your thoughts on this geo.

apollouno288

Commendable
Jan 27, 2018

I currently have a Corsair H100i v2 cooler I do not have the Noctua yet and the GPU is an RTX 2070 3 fan layout from gigabyte. The case I have is the corsair crystal 280x with the front two fans pulling in across the radiator and blowing out at the top and then I have one 60 mm fan in the back because the vent is small and that all that will fit.

Check your current bios level.
It will be in the bios screen, or you can run cpu-Z which will tell you.
You can read about the instant flash process in your motherboard manual.

You download the latest(4.40) bios using a fat32 formatted usb stick.
Power down and plug the stick into the motherboard and enter the bios.
There will be a tab called instant flash or such.
It will verify the correctness of your usb file and will update the bios.
Do not get antsy and interrupt the process if nothing seems to be going on.
The process takes time. Perhaps 10 minutes or even more.

apollouno288

Commendable
Jan 27, 2018
Check your current bios level.
It will be in the bios screen, or you can run cpu-Z which will tell you.
You can read about the instant flash process in your motherboard manual.

You download the latest(4.40) bios using a fat32 formatted usb stick.
Power down and plug the stick into the motherboard and enter the bios.
There will be a tab called instant flash or such.
It will verify the correctness of your usb file and will update the bios.
Do not get antsy and interrupt the process if nothing seems to be going on.
The process takes time. Perhaps 10 minutes or even more.
alright, when I get home today I will do this and keep everyone up to date. Thank you for all the feedback everyone!

apollouno288

Commendable
Jan 27, 2018
Hey guys i bought the 9900k and out of the box, yes, it will he up to around 95 degrees Celsius. But! That is only when i reaches its boost clock speed. SO! I kept it at 4.0 Ghz and the temps now stay around 67 degrees Celsius even when stress tested! hope that info suits everyone if you have any questions feel free to ask and/ or reply.

Hey guys i bought the 9900k and out of the box, yes, it will he up to around 95 degrees Celsius. But! That is only when i reaches its boost clock speed. SO! I kept it at 4.0 Ghz and the temps now stay around 67 degrees Celsius even when stress tested! hope that info suits everyone if you have any questions feel free to ask and/ or reply.
Are you using the Corsair H100i v2? 95 degrees Celsius doing what? Idle, gaming or some synthetic benchmark?

Reactions: RodroX and Phaaze88

apollouno288

Commendable
Jan 27, 2018
Are you using the Corsair H100i v2? 95 degrees Celsius doing what? Idle, gaming or some synthetic benchmark?
Sorry for the late reply that was while gaming I had also found out my memory speed is apparently too slow I have 2400mhz ram and found that it is bottlenecking my GPU performance! so ill be buying 64gb of ddr4 3200 on Wednesday to help that. And yes its an H100iV2

Sorry for the late reply that was while gaming I had also found out my memory speed is apparently too slow I have 2400mhz ram and found that it is bottlenecking my GPU performance! so ill be buying 64gb of ddr4 3200 on Wednesday to help that. And yes its an H100iV2

32GB is really plenty enough, why spend soo much on extra 32GB that no game would use? Do you do soemthing else with the computer, like content creation or 4K video editing?

apollouno288

Commendable
Jan 27, 2018
32GB is really plenty enough, why spend soo much on extra 32GB that no game would use? Do you do soemthing else with the computer, like content creation or 4K video editing?
I also do CAD rendering and I process video for a small company atm but hopefully, I will be getting into game design and starting a mini-series completely animated. Whichever comes first also because right now you can buy vengeance 3200mhz 2x16GB on Newegg right now for just 129.99$

I also do CAD rendering and I process video for a small company atm but hopefully, I will be getting into game design and starting a mini-series completely animated. Whichever comes first also because right now you can buy vengeance 3200mhz 2x16GB on Newegg right now for just 129.99$

If you do and will do all that then I guess 64GB is ok. Just remember the RAM wont run at 3200 in your Asrock B365M PRO 4. But theres no much of a point going with lower speed anyways.

B365Mpro4 max supported speed is 2666. Unlike ryzen, Intel does not depend on ram speed for performance anyway.
Save your money.
You would want a Z based motherboard to allow ram overclocking.
Ram speeds past 2666 are achieved by overclocking better binned chips.
I might think 3600 speed and even that would not be a big deal.
Here is an older link on ddr4 ram speed scaling:

If your apps can use ram as workfile space, then there is a big advantage to more ram vs. faster ram.

Solution