Question i7-9700k Overclock

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

itzhalo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2014
Hey guys, happy holidays! I've been trying to get a solid overclock on my 9700k for a few weeks now and it's getting a little frustrating. Currently I am sitting at 4.8ghz with around 1.32v (CPU-Z Score). I started at 1.28v and everything seemed stable for the most part. Ran it through many different stress tests for a few hours (Prime95, Aida64, Intel XTU, Burn in test) and never got any freezing or BSOD's. Weird thing is, after all that stressing is done, I'll play a few games and by the end of the night leave my PC to idle. It's usually then when my PC restarts from a BSOD or something. I've been upping my voltage since and so far am at 1.32v with it just recently doing it at 1.31v last night while idling. It's just frustrating because I'll leave it stressing under Prime95 for hours and even overnight with it on Aida64 with either my CPU being benched or with my GPU as well.

My temps are good, never exceeding 80c in any of the stress tests and not even getting over 70c in gaming. I ran some ram tests and each one came back with 0 errors. Here is my memory.dmp file from my computer if that helps.
I understand this is most likely a voltage issue, but can someone help explain as to why this BSOD is happening when my PC isn't doing anything yet passing completely on every stress test I throw at it?

Specs:
i7-9700k on Noctua NH-D15S
RTX 3070
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
750 Watt PSU

only thing is my clock seem very static
your system would just crash @ 4.8GHz with only 1.24v so you may not notice it or the app reporting stats isn't keeping up with the changes but it is definitely downclocking the core speeds.
even if the core voltage is set to 1.305v in the bios it won't try to consistently stay around it?
if C-States/Stepping/Shift is enabled that is exactly what it does;
it lowers core clocks & voltages when they are not necessary to save power, produce less heat, and put less wear on the CPU.

as soon as any activity is detected that would benefit from the higher clocks it jumps right back up.

itzhalo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2014
your system would just crash @ 4.8GHz with only 1.24v so you may not notice it or the app reporting stats isn't keeping up with the changes but it is definitely downclocking the core speeds.

if C-States/Stepping/Shift is enabled that is exactly what it does;
it lowers core clocks & voltages when they are not necessary to save power, produce less heat, and put less wear on the CPU.

as soon as any activity is detected that would benefit from the higher clocks it jumps right back up.
Hmm right, I do have all those C-states disabled which is odd. If you were to monitor your vcore when under load does it jump up say +0.5v over what you had it set in the bios? Would there be any way I can up the vcore when idling so it doesn't drop so much?

Would there be any way I can up the vcore when idling so it doesn't drop so much?
if it's not crashing or causing any performance issues, why?
you just want to use more power and produce more heat?

newer boards i've used have a "v-Curve " option where you can set custom voltages & core speeds for each C-State but if you do have them disabled it wouldn't make any difference for you.
I do have all those C-states disabled
why aren't you allowing stepping, why have you disabled C-States?

itzhalo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2014
that doesn't answer the question;
why have you disabled them?
I might've misinterpreted what you meant a while ago about the C-states. I thought they might've been the source of the problem since I've had all of them on Auto, got the crashing, then disabled them to continue experiencing it. With CPU OC's aren't they the first thing you should look for when trying to get everything stable?

Also I was following this guide made by gigabyte for overclocking. They suggest disabling so much including all the c-states.

Last edited:
aren't they the first thing you should look for when trying to get everything stable?
has nothing to do with your max clock speeds so you're custom clocks or custom voltages wouldn't be affected by enabling them.
it only relieves stress on the CPU when not necessary.
while underload it can jump to 1.389v
if you still have TVB(Thermal Voltage Boost) enabled it could be causing voltage spikes like this.
is a terrible feature for most setups causing insane temperatures and voltage spikes in some systems.

itzhalo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2014
has nothing to do with your max clock speeds so you're custom clocks or custom voltages wouldn't be affected by enabling them.
it only relieves stress on the CPU when not necessary.

if you still have TVB(Thermal Voltage Boost) enabled it could be causing voltage spikes like this.
is a terrible feature for most setups causing insane temperatures and voltage spikes in some systems.
I appreciate it, the only two TVB settings I've noticed are frequency clipping TVB and Voltage reduction initiated TVB. Would those be the same? So far I turned everything back that you advised, upped my voltage to 1.33v and everything's seeming stable so far, the heat is getting a little too high for my liking though.