Question I7 9700K overclocking voltage

Jul 10, 2019
Okay, so I watched a tutorial on how to overclock my new I7 to 5 GHz however I'm kinda scared that I overclocked it too much and that it will fry. I have no problem right now but in should I lower the GHz level to stop it from frying.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes. Lower the GHz.

Protect what you have (hopefully "unfried") and then do some additional work and research to learn what must be done to OC your i7.

And the details on how to do so. Along with any risks and trade-offs involved.

I have no problem with internet tutorials per se.

The key is to read/watch enough of them (on any given topic) to learn enough about what is needed and what can be/should be done.

And at that point, you will most likely realize that some of those tutorials are wrong, not applicable, or just download bait.

Also: update your post to include full system hardware specs including PSU.

Anyone else who reads your post may be able to use that information and provide some specific OC guidance.

I have no problem with that.

I think you need to start by reading this:

And once you feel like you have a good handle on everything covered there, THEN it might be time to look at platform specific guidelines. Going straight from "IDK WTF I'm doing" to "Wow, I'm doing 5Ghz", is a REALLY, REALLY bad idea. Bad. Bad. Bad.

At least, if your hardware has any value to you.

Reactions: CompuTronix
Jul 10, 2019
My specs are as follows

CPU - Intel Core I7 9700K
GPU - MSI GamingX 1060 6GB GDDR5
Motherboard - MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
PSU- Corsair TX550M 550Watt
RAM - 16GB HyperX DDR4 2666MHZ
WaterCooling - NZXT Kraken X52
1 Corsair taking air out and one taking air in (both 120mm)

The first thing you need to do, is reset your BIOS to the default settings to remove any changes you've made in terms of overclocking. At least for now.

The second thing you need to do is explain where your Kraken X52 is mounted and whether the fans are oriented for intake or exhaust on the radiator. And also where each of your Corsair fans are installed, and which direction airflow is FOR THAT LOCATION. Knowing that one is an intake and one is an exhaust doesn't help much if you have the rear fan as an intake and a bottom fan as an exhaust, and believe me, I've seen that here, and worse. I've seen people with five or six fans, with ALL locations populated, but ALL of them as intake. LOL.

Flip your top fan over so that it is blowing out, not in like it currently is. It is oriented the wrong way. If the motor cage (The four "arms" you see that support the motor) are facing into the case and the fan blades are facing OUT, then it is bringing air INTO the case and is an intake orientation. Top and rear fans almost always need to be exhaust.

You also need to do the same thing to the fans on your radiator. They are facing the wrong way. This is why you have cooling problems.

If you change the orientation of the radiator fans so that the fan blades are facing towards the radiator and the top fan so it's fan blades are facing IN, I think you'll find you have no more cooling problems. As it stands right now, it's about as wrong as it could be. The only way it could be worse is if the rear fan was facing the wrong way too.

Last edited: