[SOLVED] I7-9700k Overclocking

Dragon155

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2016
Hi all,

Pretty recently I purchased a I7-9700k, and an ASUS z390-A motherboard. And the CPU is a pretty terrible overclocker, but since I am rather new at overclocking, typically just punch in numbers, I am sure there is some improvement to be made. For a while, I could not get it to be stable at 5Ghz, even at 1.39V (I know enough to not try and feed it 1.45), and I could get it to be stable around 4.8ghz, with a 1.34v overclock. Recently I was scouring around, and disabled asus multicore enhancement or whatever, and managed to pull 5ghz, with a 1.34v, and the voltage automatically goes up around 1.359 here and there. First question would be, is that voltage safe for long term use, and secondly, is there anything I can do to improve the overclock, and or reduce the amount of voltage required, as I plan to have this cpu for quite some time. If not I suppose 4.9ghz would suffice...

Thanks in advance!

Solution
MCE is not going to change anything if you are entering fixed/manual multiplier values in the BIOS.

When MCE enabled, if multiplier is in auto, should see all cores at 4.9 GHz under load....but lower clock speeds when load is reduced, to 800-1200 MHz...)

(If you wish 4.x GHz for sustained 24/7, even for reading e-mail reading and solitaire, however...proceed as you've been doing) :)

70-75C on stress tests is about all you could hope for, really....; that is quite good , IMO)
What will actually you be doing with that last 100 MHz across all cores?

Adding 1 extra FPS to a 130 fps total at 1080P, or, adding nothing because you play at 4k? :)

DIsabling MCE is not preferred in my opinion, as it is generally better to hit the highest turbos possible across all cores. (If power limits and boost duration limits are removed, with MCE enabled, you should be able to hit 4.9 GHz across all cores, even in Balanced Power mode. (idles and loafs at desktop at 1000-1200 MHz, but boosts to 4.9 GHz under load. See what your temps are if this is stable; 1 16 minute run of CPU-z/bench/stress CPU will tell the tale. I'd consider anything above 84C to be too warm in my opinion....

You've also not mentioned your actual CPU cooling solution, or, a single measured temp at any clock speed, not that it matters if it is not stable or won't hit it briefly.

Dragon155

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2016
What will actually you be doing with that last 100 MHz across all cores?

Adding 1 extra FPS to a 130 fps total at 1080P, or, adding nothing because you play at 4k? :)

DIsabling MCE is not preferred in my opinion, as it is generally better to hit the highest turbos possible across all cores. (If power limits and boost duration limits are removed, with MCE enabled, you should be able to hit 4.9 GHz across all cores, even in Balanced Power mode. (idles and loafs at desktop at 1000-1200 MHz, but boosts to 4.9 GHz under load. See what your temps are if this is stable; 1 16 minute run of CPU-z/bench/stress CPU will tell the tale. I'd consider anything above 84C to be too warm in my opinion....

You've also not mentioned your actual CPU cooling solution, or, a single measured temp at any clock speed, not that it matters if it is not stable or won't hit it briefly.

Currently have it running on a Corsair H110I (280 rad), and it doesn't really go above 70, 75 on extended stress tests, at the current overclock settings. 5Ghz is achievable at 1.34-.36V, as far as I know, you want to stay out of the realm of 1.4v+ range, but I want to make sure at my current voltage/settings that the cpu is going to be lasting for quite some time. Or, if there are any other tips or tricks to overclocking the cpu better. Also, the MCE doesn't appear to change anything, it still is at whatever clock settings, no matter the load.

MCE is not going to change anything if you are entering fixed/manual multiplier values in the BIOS.

When MCE enabled, if multiplier is in auto, should see all cores at 4.9 GHz under load....but lower clock speeds when load is reduced, to 800-1200 MHz...)

(If you wish 4.x GHz for sustained 24/7, even for reading e-mail reading and solitaire, however...proceed as you've been doing) :)

70-75C on stress tests is about all you could hope for, really....; that is quite good , IMO)

Solution