Question I7 9700K Overheating after bios update!

Emrek127

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
Hello! I updated the bios on my motherboard and for some reason my temps and voltages are way higher than before? What can i do to fix this?
Previous temps: 65 under load
Current temps: 97 under load / 50 idle

Specs:
CPU: I7 9700K
Motherboard: ASUS Z390 TUF Gaming Plus
Ram: 16GB 3200 Mhz, i disabled X.M.P to see if that was the issue, turns out not.
CPU Cooler: Dark rock 4
SSD/HDD: 512GB M.2 SSD / 4TB HDD
GPU: 1660 TI
PSU: TX550M
Chassis: 1x Exhaust, 3x Intake even tho sidepanel is open while doing these tests

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to go into BIOS and see what the voltages of your CPU are. On that note, which version of BIOS are you on? Did you manually or did you use a third party app? You also forgot to mention the make and model of your CPU cooler.

Emrek127

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
You might want to go into BIOS and see what the voltages of your CPU are. On that note, which version of BIOS are you on? Did you manually or did you use a third party app? You also forgot to mention the make and model of your CPU cooler.
The voltages is on auto but it says 1.021v on the right side where it displays the fan speed etc. I installed the bios version 2012 from Asus's website/support page. The cooler i am using is a Dark rock 4

How are you determining the CPU temperatures? Third party software has been known to give misleading results.

I suggest you use this Utility to monitor temps in real time:

Version 6.4.0.203 2018/09/14 31.25 MBytes
IXTU
ASUS Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

You can find it in the Utilities section of motherboard downloads.

I've not heard of any issues with the ever-popular HWMonitor with reading temps (and all pertinent core voltage data) on Z390....

I'd also look for references to MCE (MultiCoreEnhancement), and see if it is on/enabled, which might be getting you a too-high-of-a-boost on core voltage (to assist with MCE's max all-core turbo operation) as well....

If HWMonitor shows all cores going to 4.9 GHz simultaneously under load, for instance, then MCE is definitely enabled, and might be borderline overwhelming your cooling, depending on applied core voltage...

Last edited:

Emrek127

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
I've not heard of any issues with the ever-popular HWMonitor with reading temps (and all pertinent core voltage data) on Z390....

I'd also look for references to MCE (MultiCoreEnhancement), and see if it is on/enabled, which might be getting you a too-high-of-a-boost on core voltage (to assist with MCE's max all-core turbo operation) as well....

If HWMonitor shows all cores going to 4.9 GHz simultaneously under load, for instance, then MCE is definitely enabled, and might be borderline overwhelming your cooling, depending on applied core voltage...
Thanks for the help! I looked at the bios and i already disabled it, since i thought it was the issue. Seems like not.