i7-9700k Overheating badly.

Nov 28, 2018
So i recently got an upgrade from an i7-6700k to an i7-9700k; its paired with artic mx-4 heatsink and a tacens mars gaming mcpu2 cooler; has no loose cables, 6 fans, 4 outty 2 inny; outty next to the cpu socket and on stock configuration on idle it gets around 30-50C degrees, coming to 90-100C when playing black ops 4 and, eventually, rebooting.

All fans are connected to the MB so i can read them and work properly, my PSU is an Aerocool Project 7 850W Platinum and voltages and cores are @stock.

I have being doing some researches and reading similar posts but no one mentioned nothing about reboots so here is my doubt: may be 850W not enough for an i7-9700k and a rtx2080? or is it just rebooting to prevent damage from overheating? if so would it be a good idea to buy a Noctua NH-U12S?

I mean, i dont wanna boil water on my pc, just play some games at 1080p@60 maybe 144hz... but seems impossible, and funny note:

XTU Benchmark makes it barely close to the 80°C running 5 mins but if i go to frequency settings and benchmark it then thermal throttle happens and if i try to modify any core xXX ratio, it stops my pc and after a while reboots...

Im pretty lost between PSU not giving enough stable power or cpu cooler not dissipating enough...

Any help would be awesome, thanks.

Solution

winks42

Respectable
Can you turn your CPU fan up? It’s not your psu because your CPU is thermal throttling because it is too hot. Make sure the cooler is properly aligned and try adjusting fan speed.

Dumb question but did you apply thermal paste? (dumb question but can happen to the best of us)

Nov 28, 2018

Yup, applied arctic mx4 thermal paste and cpu fans are correctly detected by the motherboard, weird thing tho, running at 600-1100rpm, maybe not enough power to make a decent airflow; all of the fans are powered up and working; should be at full power 24/7? Can set that on BIOS to give a shot but maybe i should just buy a new cpu cooler if it doesnt work, what do you think?

winks42

Respectable
I think I would get a better cooler. I’d spend $30 and get a h7 or something along those lines. It just seems to point to a bad cooler. The only other thing I’m thinking of is that the cpu is over volted in the bios but if it’s not oc’d that’s not it. :p

Nov 28, 2018

3.6Ghz 1.2Something(.25 i think V) out of the box, but it has Turbo and gets around 4.9 Ghz by its own, guess it comes overclocked from stock? i dont know, have bad feelings about that cpu cooler too but would it be enough to take down 90-100C to a stable 70-80 at least? that's 20 degrees down :/

You need a better CPU cooler.

Nov 28, 2018

Any idea about which one? which one are you using for that 9900k? its same TDP ~95W so temps should be similar; could you tell me more about them please? it would be a relief...

95W is BS...

The 9900K pulls more like 180W, 9700K will pull about the same.

I am using a Noctua NH-D15 with my 9900K.

Solution
Nov 28, 2018

NH-D15 should be then, thanks for the assistance and everyone for the help provided :)

TRENDING THREADS